New member saying hello

Sitter
Sitter Posts: 40
edited May 2013 in MTB beginners
Just joined up this evening and thought I'd say hello. Used to do quite a bit of biking back when I was younger, but then towards the end of last summer when I was working in Mayrhofen, Austria I bought myself a GT Aggressor and started getting back on the bike with regular jaunts along the river path and the odd trip up the Penkenbahn and cycle down when finances allowed. Just back on again after a winter break, hoping to get the fitness up over the next couple of weeks before I head back to The Dales for the summer.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hellooooooooo
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    Welcome aboard :) ..
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Welcome get your legs turning but dont go mental too quick. I see a lot of newbs and returnees buy a bike and try and do a 40 mile off road ride and nearly kill themselves. Wind your distances up steadily and within 3 or 4 months you will be flying.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Sitter
    Thanks for the welcomes.

Yeah I'm getting used to getting the legs turning again, I'm in the Arlberg in Austria at the moment having just finished a Winter season mostly snowboarding and a little skiing, so legs aren't too bad, they've just got to get used to powering me up hills as opposed to helping guide a board sliding down hills! Out here for another 4 weeks or so before heading back home so should get a decent level of fitness up.
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    stubs wrote:
    Welcome get your legs turning but dont go mental too quick. I see a lot of newbs and returnees buy a bike and try and do a 40 mile off road ride and nearly kill themselves. Wind your distances up steadily and within 3 or 4 months you will be flying.

I couldn't agree more mate as it's as if something snaps in the head of a lot of newbs and they suddenly think their Superman 8) :lol: but all it's going to do is cause muscle damage , exhaustion and pain :shock: ..
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    IT66T wrote:
    stubs wrote:

I couldn't agree more mate as it's as if something snaps in the head of a lot of newbs and they suddenly think their Superman 8) :lol: but all it's going to do is cause muscle damage , exhaustion and pain :shock: ..

Welcome!

I also do agree. I was that kind of newb once...now doing long distance on the road (havent tried offroad long distance) is fkin pissy easy!!

Give it time, and the power and endurance will come :wink:
  • hello, I am also new here.... picking up bike on saturday! yeee haaaaah :)
  • Sitter
    Slowly getting there. The flats are fine now, it's just the climbing that needs a fair bit of improvement! Might not be too bad once I get back home tho as I'm at 1300m and most of the cycling I'm doing is uphill from there so hopefully the altitude cycling will be a big help for when I get back to the UK.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Altitude training means you will find it much easier back at "normal" height. The air is thinner up there, so your body adapts to that to make sure your body pumps oxygen around your body efficiently enough. It compensates for the thinner air by producing more haemoglobin i think...so once you get back to normal level you will find it much easier to train or do whatever physical activity you are doing :wink:
  • Sitter
    Did a little more climbing yesterday, about 500m change in elevation. Walked some of it and rode some but found my wrists a little uncomfortable, need to get the bar ends off my old bike and on to the current ride as I've always found having my grip vertical ish much more comfortable than horizontally on the handle bars.