A question on Magnesium supplement please

npr50
npr50 Posts: 23
Hi,

With respect to preventing muscles cramps, is any of the Magnesium compositions such as Mag. Oxide / Hydroxide etc. is considered better than the others (citrate.. etc.) ?

Thanks !

npr50

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Moved to correct forum.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    It is the citrate that can be had from MyProtein as a supplement to guard against night cramps etc
    But I have some osteocare tablets that contain magnesium, as they are a lot cheaper.

However I have not studied the chemistry of it, I admit.
  • npr50
    Moved to correct forum.

Hi, it could be helpful if you'd tell me which is the correct forum thanks
  • npr50
    JGSI wrote:
    It is the citrate that can be had from MyProtein as a supplement to guard against night cramps etc
    But I have some osteocare tablets that contain magnesium, as they are a lot cheaper.

However I have not studied the chemistry of it, I admit.

Thanks.
  • Murr X
    Murr X Posts: 258
    JGSI wrote:
    It is the citrate that can be had from MyProtein as a supplement to guard against night cramps etc...
    ...More than anything else it will make you feel highly sedated at a dose of 2g or higher and will cause some bowel movement as it is also a laxative. It is used at high dose in pre operative bowel prep.

It is a supplement which I have used successfully in the past at 1-2 grams several hours pre bed to help with sleep and de-stress. I can not say how effective it may be in relation with cramping as I would never get cramps myself.

Murr X