90's Peugeot Course

waughie
waughie Posts: 180
edited April 2013 in Your road bikes
A few months ago I was donated a road bike frame. I had every intention of making a cheap commuter out of it, but as with most of my projects i forgot about it...

IAs i'd forgotten about it I did nothing with it for a while then after cleaning the garage I finally decided to make something of it!

I don't think its previous owner had rode it much as it all came apart very easily. The only major issue is, it was missing its wheels... but a trip to merlincycles soon fixed that.

SAM_1098.jpg

Spec

Frame: Peugeot Course with original forks
Bars & Stem: Original spec.
Bar Tape: Cinelli
Brake levers: Tektro
Wheels: Mavic Aksium 2013
Tyres: Mavic Aksium
Bottom bracket: Shimano LX Cartridge
Seat: Peugeot Original
Shifters: Shimano Downtube shifters
Derailleures: Shimano
Crank: Stronglight
Pedals: Shimano M520
Cassette: Shimano 7 speed
Chain: Shimano 7 Speed

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Lovely, but I'd lose the dork disc if I were you!
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Woah, could those hoods go any lower?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • waughie
    The spoke protector will be removed once i'm happy the gears are set properly. Due to it having a 7spd cassette on a 9spd body means there is a lot of room for the chain to get behind the cassette and do damage.

The hoods are low. This may have been an oversight on my part, i'm going to rotate the bars round but didn't want to lose how nice and parallel to the ground they are!
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    You could unwrap the bar tape and move the hoods up.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Tip of the levers level with bottom of the bars. :)
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Sort the lever position out and lose the dork disk! Adjusting the rear mech properly will prevent the chain dropping.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • waughie
    Few updates, I have worked out the bike is probably a '91 or '93 model. After a proper test ride the gears are correctly indexed so the disk has been removed!

Bars have been rotated so the Hoods are in a better position.

Heres a few more pics!

DSC_1283.jpg

DSC_1282.jpg

DSC_1280.jpg

DSC_1276.jpg

DSC_1286.jpg
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    much better now :)
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    That's better - the bike and the photo quality. Lovely bike.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    waughie wrote:
    The spoke protector will be removed once i'm happy the gears are set properly. Due to it having a 7spd cassette on a 9spd body means there is a lot of room for the chain to get behind the cassette and do damage.
    Why not get a 9 speed cassette? You'll need a new chain as well but you'll have better gearing.
  • waughie
    The reason I put a 7speed on it is the shifters are 7speed indexed and I prefer it to be indexed rather than run a 9 speed with no indexing.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    quite cool. 8)
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    for pink :shock: 8) :D:D:D
  • waughie
    Can anyone think of a way to make the seat go back to black? Its kinda faded to a grey colour, but i don't want to change it as its the original peugeot one!
  • Hey there,

I have exactly the same bike. Although I notice you've said it has a cartridge bottom bracket. My frame has made in France written on it, and I'm at the point where I need to replace the cup and cone BB. Was yours a French thread, I'm assuming not if you've got an LX in there. Additionally, is yours stamped "made in France"?

Apart from having to replace the front fork, due to a crash, my Course also has the old saddle, breaks etc. I rode her on my LEJOG ride two years ago and she's still the nicest bike I have. If you've found any more info on the machine do let me know.

Hope you're enjoying yours too.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Looks much better!

How about de-stickering the wheels? Would look classier :)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Get rid of those horrible plastic bits on the SPDs, they're lethal with the slightest bit of moisture and they look s£%t!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    waughie wrote:
    Can anyone think of a way to make the seat go back to black? Its kinda faded to a grey colour, but i don't want to change it as its the original peugeot one!

It's patina - don't worry about it!

Have you tried running the shifters non indexed (assuming they have the option)? I think DT shifters are far nicer without indexing - IMO indexing came before there was a problem to be solved!

Plus one re the destickering the wheels. It may well have come new with black anodised rims so the black wheels don't look out of place but the stickers do.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • waughie
    The bottom bracket is a standard thread but I think it's a 118mm Axle in it, it was short from memory, I'll try and dig the box out. I'm not sure about the made in France stamp to be honest I'll have to have a look.

I quite like the stickers on the wheels I'm trying to go for the retro look but with modern touches. The plastic pedals are so I can ride it to the shops with flat shoes on. They are very handy at times.

With regard to more info on the frame I found a series of old peugeot catalogues online with all their old racers in, this particular bike in this colour scheme wasn't in the catalogue so I don't know too much about it. This is the only one I've ever seen as well!
  • waughie
    I have tried the shifters non indexed it's quite handy when I can't be bothered to sort the gears out, I prefer them to be indexed though as I'm used to it with the mtb.