First time in the rain!

pinkteapot
pinkteapot Posts: 367
edited May 2013 in Commuting general
First time ever cycling in the rain this morning... And it was fine!

Wore waterproof over-trousers and jacket. Managed to put my hood up then fit my helmet on over the top. Only bits that got wet were face and hands.

Bit sweaty from wearing head to toe gore-tex, but not too bad.

Now if I only I had a Hermione to charm my glasses so they repel water, that'd be great!

I have my iPhone in a handlebar mount. This morning I thought I should have gone for a Topeak dry-bag or similar, instead of a £3.40 mount from eBay for which the phone can't be in a case. Then in a moment of inspiration I stuck my phone in a zip-lock bag and it survived the journey perfectly dry. :D

Comments

• I find that summer rain isn't worth getting all waterproofed up for. Shorts and jerseys dry very quickly and I find riding along fast in the rain pretty satisfying. It actually makes me push harder. Also I'd rather get wet in heavy rain than a light sprinkle any day!

Winter rain is different as cold and wetness near the skin makes you very cold but I still tend to wear whatever it is that I would be wearing anyway and accept that it will get wet.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I find that summer rain isn't worth getting all waterproofed up for. Shorts and jerseys dry very quickly and I find riding along fast in the rain pretty satisfying. It actually makes me push harder. Also I'd rather get wet in heavy rain than a light sprinkle any day!

Winter rain is different as cold and wetness near the skin makes you very cold but I still tend to wear whatever it is that I would be wearing anyway and accept that it will get wet.

+1, I tend to leave waterproofs for special occasions, like snow and freezing rain. Plus my waterproof leggings aren't that waterproof anymore thanks to the cat, who decided to use them as a scratching post.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Waterproofs are fine, But i do tend to find that you boil in the bag,

I have a hardshell waterproof that i dispise but perservere with as at least i stay warm. I am thinking of getting a Gore (goretex) waterproof but just dont know if I can justify £200.

Keeping warm is the key,
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I avoid waterproofs where I can, I just layer up - I have a waterproof breathable gilet that I wear (part unzipped at the neck to vent) to keep the torso warm and dry because it's the engine to warm the arms but other than that I just let them get damp, just keep the wet layer warm

mudguards keep you dry, shoe covers help
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It's not getting wet that is the problem, it's getting cold.

I've cycled in some biblical downpours (scalped by Noah on more than one occasion!) and been perfectly happy as I was warm enough. In fact I've been the nutter on the bike laughing as I've gone along getting completely drenched.

Skin is waterproof, just layer up and stay warm. Get to where you are going and dry off.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • pinkteapot
    I wouldn't mind getting drenched if it was easier to shower at work.

Work has changing rooms with showers, but I have to carry everything with me (towel, toiletries, etc). We have cycle lockers, but 9 in the female changing rooms and 11 in the mens (don't get me started) for a staff and student population of 14,000. Strangely enough, they've all be taken so I can't have one. :(
  • rubertoe
    Get one of these.

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/travel ... el-towels/

Leave as much at work/school as you can, shoes etc, use travel size - refiliable bottles for toiletries. basically minimise the amount and bulk of what you carry to as small as poss
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• Benjo74
    Benjo74 Posts: 67
    edhornby wrote:

He's right!

Unfortunately, I decided that I wouldn't bother putting mudguards on my new commuter bike (this week is week one) as "the weather has turned better, I can wait 'till winter before I spoil the nice looking bike with unsightly mudguards".

I checked at lunchtime and my shorts were still drenched, as were my uncovered cycling shoes. Not looking forward to putting them back on for the ride home this evening. The price of vanity... :roll:
    FCN: 3 on the singlespeed, 4 on the roadie.
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Now if I only I had a Hermione to charm my glasses so they repel water, that'd be great!

Try furniture polish on your glasses, works for me
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    Benjo74 wrote:
    edhornby wrote:

He's right!

Unfortunately, I decided that I wouldn't bother putting mudguards on my new commuter bike (this week is week one) as "the weather has turned better, I can wait 'till winter before I spoil the nice looking bike with unsightly mudguards".

I checked at lunchtime and my shorts were still drenched, as were my uncovered cycling shoes. Not looking forward to putting them back on for the ride home this evening. The price of vanity... :roll:

Mudguards,that's the problem.i don't like to use them in the Summer but if it rains i get wet.yesterday i had an hour and a half ride,it started sunny but towards the end the heavens opened.So what do you do,keep mudguards on 24/7 or what?
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Davdandy wrote:
    Mudguards,that's the problem.i don't like to use them in the Summer but if it rains i get wet.yesterday i had an hour and a half ride,it started sunny but towards the end the heavens opened.So what do you do,keep mudguards on 24/7 or what?

Yep, mudguards stay on the commuter all year
  • Davdandy
    I don't commute though.My bike is simply for pleasure and although mudguards do that job brilliantly they are an eyesore.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • pinkteapot
    Ya bunch of jessies. :D

Haven't added mudguards to my bike and I commute. :p
  • Davdandy
    pinkteapot wrote:
    Ya bunch of jessies. :D

Haven't added mudguards to my bike and I commute. :p

Not nice when your backside is drenched through though is it?
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • rubertoe
    Mud guards are an essential for all year round commuting.

function over form every day of the week.

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Mudguards are for the cool kids.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    rubertoe wrote:

Quite. Especially as the spray arc from an unguarded bike in the wet is anything from a few yards to about 10 making commuting in very annoying around selfish bastards who don't fit them. :x
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    MrSweary wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

Quite. Especially as the spray arc from an unguarded bike in the wet is anything from a few yards to about 10 making commuting in very annoying around selfish bastards who don't fit them. :x

It deters drafters though.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    MrSweary wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

unless they are traveling very slowly, thinking let alone braking distance will be longer than the ark of the spray. it's a none issue unless your too close, granted easy to be to close and plenty will just pull across etc, but still.