Acceptable Commuting Pace

stu-bim
stu-bim Posts: 384
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
I have been commuting for three months and enjoying it. I have a Raleigh RX 2.0, cx bike and notice that times have kinda stagnated around 1hr 20m (20.7 miles) which is average 15.5 mph, mostly as I am not pushing hard lately. Happy to be getting around 100 miles per week, healthier and losing some weight (properly). I would rather get consistent for the rest of the year than do too much too soon.

What is a acceptable commuting pace for a 20 mile RT? Something that I could aim for after a year of cycling. It is a countryside cycle with next to no traffic and obviously any hills even out on a round trip but very windy.
Raleigh RX 2.0
Diamondback Outlook
Planet X Pro Carbon

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,311
    3 laps of Richmond Park is 20 miles, and the general target is 1 hour. The extra .7 will make that hard, but doable now and then on a good day with kind wind.

Not every day though. Maybe 1:10 would be more of a regular target?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    I was under the impression that the only pace acceptable was slightly faster than the guy in front.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Far too many variables to answer: wind, elevation, temperature, road surface, bike, tyres, clothing.

The key thing is improvement
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    The key thing is improvement

This. If you are getting some personal bests each week, given comparable conditions, you're doing fine.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    pangolin wrote:
    3 laps of Richmond Park is 20ish miles, and the general target is 1 hour

Actually you have to be really quite fit to do this - it's not a trivial challenge...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,311
    pangolin wrote:

Actually you have to be really quite fit to do this - it's not a trivial challenge...

I failed pretty miserably the first time I tried. But it wouldn't be a fun challenge if it was easy! Of course, I do have a real bike...
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    stu-bim wrote:
    I have been commuting for three months and enjoying it. I have a Raleigh RX 2.0, cx bike and notice that times have kinda stagnated around 1hr 20m (20.7 miles) which is average 15.5 mph, mostly as I am not pushing hard lately. Happy to be getting around 100 miles per week, healthier and losing some weight (properly). I would rather get consistent for the rest of the year than do too much too soon.

What is a acceptable commuting pace for a 20 mile RT? Something that I could aim for after a year of cycling. It is a countryside cycle with next to no traffic and obviously any hills even out on a round trip but very windy.

If you're commuting in Barbados just take your time and enjoy the view.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    the acceptable speed when commuting is the one that gets you to and from work safely in traffic.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    pangolin wrote:
    pangolin wrote:

I failed pretty miserably the first time I tried. But it wouldn't be a fun challenge if it was easy! Of course, I do have a real bike...

Indeed I don't atm, but given that it gave my brother a reasonable 2-3 avg speed increase I am looking forward to what a "proper" bike can do... But also annoyingly put me squarely into the firing line as my fcn halves!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Blackheath <-> Central London 8 miles, avg. 13.8 mph safely and comfortably. My commute is not a race. It's really down to your route and mind.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    spasypaddy wrote:
    the acceptable speed when commuting is the one that gets you to and from work safely in traffic.

What's this "traffic" you speak of? :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    navt wrote:
    My commute is not a race.

Get. Out.

:lol:
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    spasypaddy wrote:

What's this "traffic" you speak of? :wink:

Nope doesnt ring a bell
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    navt wrote:
    Blackheath <-> Central London 8 miles, avg. 13.8 mph safely and comfortably. My commute is not a race. It's really down to your route and mind.

Someone seems to think mine is :lol:

cyclerace_zps79c13a21.png
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter