Durailleur options...

Roller1990
Roller1990 Posts: 39
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi im looking for a rear mech but there are too many to choose from could someone help please

8 speed (7 chain rings build up gradually but my 1st gear is a bit of a step compared to the rest)
Usage will be trails/tarmac/road
Budget £30-£50

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    one that is of the same make as the shifter and has the correct number of gears.
    8 speed (7 chain rings build up gradually but my 1st gear is a bit of a step compared to the rest)

what does this mean? not that it matters as the mech will still work,
    Usage will be trails/tarmac/road
    makes no difference.

but it will need to be able to cope with the range of the gears see viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12546123
    Budget £30-£50
    that is for the buying advice section.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    nicklouse wrote:
    one that is compatable with the shifter and has the correct number of gears.
    FTFY, although same make makes it easier to be sure...

Roller, currently running SRAM or Shimano? (or something else?)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    So why fix then?
  • Shimano alvio or something my 8 speed mech snapped and currently running a shimano 7 speed mech

The gear leavers are shimano
  • The rear mech was Shimano alvio or something my 8 speed mech snapped and currently running a shimano 7 speed mech these are only about £15 i was hoping for a more up market one if there is one

The gear leavers are shimano
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it works I wouldn't worry - 7/8/9 all have the same shift distance.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools