MTB help required, opinions pls.

BurntOut
BurntOut Posts: 9
edited April 2013 in MTB beginners
Guys looking to purchase my first MTB, I live in Belfast NI so have a few shops I can go to.

Been looking at 3 at the moment,
Carrera Vulcan £340
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_810709_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

Carrera Kraken £380
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_810671_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

Specialized Hardrock Disc £280
http://www.mcconveycycles.com/store/product/15259/SPECIALIZED-HARDROCK-DISC-RED-2012-21-INCH/

Specialized one was recommended as a good first starter for me, but the review (forks) on here isnt good.

New Mountain Bike Trail in Belfast (Barnett Demense) just opened so wanna get the right kind of bike.

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    What is your budget? Decathlon out by the ikea store have the best bikes in the range of those above.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Hardrock is nasty, the Vulcan is better, the Kraken is quite decent.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JonesNick
    JonesNick Posts: 33
    I'm stuck between the kracken and the voodoo Bantu
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No idea why you needed another thread but
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12875967
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    Ideal way to decide would be a test ride as their both cracking machines :) ..
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • BurntOut
    As it's my 1st MTB and I am a beginner I am trying to keep Budget under £400.

I have been going by the reviews on this site, both Carrera's get top marks, Specialized gets okay review, though forks let it down.

Cool you reckon Specialized is nasty, would it not do as a first time bike and maybe uprgade the forks when get used to it, or are there other parts/gear thats def better on the others.

I dont know cycle parts as you can tell.

Cheers folks all advice greatly appreciated.
  • JonesNick
    A decent set of forks will set you back abit even second hand so maybe worth your while getting a bike with suitable forks already installed.
    Halfords have a deal on til Tuesday spend 400 pound get 40 pounds off so could purchase the carrera kracken for 389. Rather than 430 online and 450 in store which I think I'll be doing.
    Oh and the deal is an online deal

Hope this helps abit
  • BurntOut
    JonesNick wrote:
    A decent set of forks will set you back abit even second hand so maybe worth your while getting a bike with suitable forks already installed.
    Halfords have a deal on til Tuesday spend 400 pound get 40 pounds off so could purchase the carrera kracken for 389. Rather than 430 online and 450 in store which I think I'll be doing.
    Oh and the deal is an online deal

Hope this helps abit

Thanks JonesNick, yea noticed that myself Kraken would come in at £390 with discount applied, seems to be alot of bike for that money.
  • JonesNick
    Yeah seems a good deal. The voodoo hoodoo which is ment to be a cracking bike comes in at 450.

The carrera kracken has rave reviews and review of being the best bike for under500 pound.
    Good luck purchasing a bike and I hope all goes well