Mavic R-Sys noisy front wheel - any advice

werdsmyth
werdsmyth Posts: 5
edited April 2013 in Workshop
Recently put a set of Mavic R-Sys wheels on my bike and have noticed the front wheel making a fair bit of noise when I do anything above about 25kph (basically when I put some pedalling load into the bike). Basically it sounds like something is loose as the wheels spins.

I already know the deal about these wheels in terms of the Gen 1 Mavic recall. The ones I have are the Gen 2 version with the three silver marks on each carbon spoke. I've gone around every spoke in fine detail and they're all tight and unmarked. I've also checked my forks, stem, skewers...anything else that might be making the noise and everything is tight and true.

If I spin the wheels whilst stationary they don't make a sound, so I don't think there's anything wrong or loose in the hub. I have heard a few people saying that Mavic wheels can make a rattling noise and it turns out to be a loose piece of metal that's bouncing around inside the rim, which you can either glue in place or try to remove through the rim holes. Problem is, these wheels don't have rim holes...and like I said, when I spin the wheel off the ground it's silent.

The only thing I can think of so far is apparently the carbon spokes aren't tensioned (because you can't tension carbon fibre) like you would do to a metal spoke. So as the wheel spins each spoke is being put under load when perpendicular to the road and then being released when the wheel turns. So the sound is just the repeated tensioning and untensioning of the spokes.

Any other ideas? Any experience that sounds similar? Any advice on what I can look for?

The back wheel is silent...BTW. Like a hushed ninja!

Comments

• Had a similar problem with my mavic cosmic sl's, turned out to be the bearings needed adjusted and tightened.

Ross
  • Cheers for your advice.

I also did a bit of searching and may have found a solution. It appears to be the spoke ends at the hub rubbing ever so slightly when the wheel is under load.

A little dab of lube inside the spoke holders at the hub (basically a single drop of lube and then let it just drip down into the spoke holder) appears to have done the trick. The wheels are MUCH quieter now!