Bands You've Discovered as Support Acts

drays
drays Posts: 119
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
Just listening to The Libertines first album, and it's got me reminiscing...

This is for bands that you first came across when they were playing support for someone else.

Libertines - I first heard the Libertines when they supported Supergrass at Manchester Academy in 2002. Chaotic, charismatic and musically tight. This was around the time of their first album as the hype was building.

Liars - Supporting Sonic Youth, again at Manchester Academy in 2002. Bonkers electronis over a heavy bass. Also around the time of their first album. Superb

Hot Chip - Supporting Mark Ronson at the Octagon at Sheffield Uni in 2008. My first impression was of a modern day Kraftwerk with guitars. Their studio albums don't do justice to their live performances. Joe Goddard's Two Bears collaboration is a fantastic extension of the Hot Chip sound.
2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
2012 Boardman Hybrid Comp
2010 Boardman Pro Hardtail
c1994 Raleigh Outland MTB

Comments

• Dog Breath
    Dog Breath Posts: 314
    Going back a few years. Went to see an Afro-Rock group called Osibisa. There were 2 warm-up groups on beforehand, the first of which was Genesis.
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    drays wrote:
    Just listening to The Libertines first album, and it's got me reminiscing...

This is for bands that you first came across when they were playing support for someone else.

Libertines - I first heard the Libertines when they supported Supergrass at Manchester Academy in 2002. Chaotic, charismatic and musically tight. This was around the time of their first album as the hype was building.

Liars - Supporting Sonic Youth, again at Manchester Academy in 2002. Bonkers electronis over a heavy bass. Also around the time of their first album. Superb

Hot Chip - Supporting Mark Ronson at the Octagon at Sheffield Uni in 2008. My first impression was of a modern day Kraftwerk with guitars. Their studio albums don't do justice to their live performances. Joe Goddard's Two Bears collaboration is a fantastic extension of the Hot Chip sound.

Hot Chip played at a pub round the corner from me on NY Eve in 2009 or 2010 I think but I didn't go.... :(
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Back in 1995 I heard Cast supporting Dodgy. Both ended up being stalwarts of Britpop but I had never heard of John Power's new band before then! Bloody loud they were too, second only to the mighty Mogwai in my book!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I went to see Two Door Cinema Club as I wanted to see the support act - Bastille. I was a damn sight older than the rest of the audience though (about a head above them all)

They went on to get UK #1 and #1 album the following week. I kinda feel proud that it was the 1st album I had bought in years.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Went to see *ahem* Justin Timberlake with the EPO, Dizzee Rascall was supporting him with Showtime.

Have been a big fan of grime ever since.

yeah, I get that am a 30 something, middle class white male from a posh london borough :)
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • drays
    drays Posts: 119
    rubertoe wrote:
    Went to see *ahem* Justin Timberlake with the EPO, Dizzee Rascall was supporting him with Showtime.

Have been a big fan of grime ever since.

yeah, I get that am a 30 something, middle class white male from a posh london borough :)

Keepin' it real there rude boi (I'm the same demographic and think Dizzee is ace!)
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
    2012 Boardman Hybrid Comp
    2010 Boardman Pro Hardtail
    c1994 Raleigh Outland MTB
  • Went to see Def Leppard a few years ago. The support act were The Darkness. At first everyone was looking at each other thinking "this is a joke, right?" Within a few minutes no-one thought that.

Yes, they are a bit cheesy, but an amazing live band. Including changes of spandex between songs!
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • I went to see Public Enemy. Were supported by an up-and-coming band called The Beastie Boys. 8)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • I went to see Public Enemy. Were supported by an up-and-coming band called The Beastie Boys. 8)
    Now that is cool.
    Ecrasez l’infame
    Now that is cool.
    In reality they were f-ing awful.
    But not bad enough to put me off them - at that point in time I would buy anything produced by Def Jam.
    During the late 80s/early 90s I had an awful record collection.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    When I was at Hull Uni back in the 80s I used to see a band that often played for free in the Union. I even flanned the lead singer in one gig during Rag week... that was Paul Heaton and the band were obviously the Housemartins
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bdave262000
    bdave262000 Posts: 270
    Went to Reading festivsal in the early 90's. On the side stage there was a little know band called Blur playing.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • I first saw Maximo Park as part of the lineup on the NME Rock'n'Riot tour headlined by Kaiser Chiefs (the year escapes me, but mid '00s). I was impressed enough to get their first album.

At university in around 1989 they had short-lived British hip-hop act Derek B on and his support was Pop Will Eat Itself who were ace
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    Some long time ago I went to see Sonic Youth play in Dublin, supporting them were an act I hadn't heard of before, went by the name of Nirvana.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    went to see a mates band and the support was the Arctic Monkeys
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • mickbrown
    mickbrown Posts: 100
    Radiohead supporting Kingmaker at Huddersfield Poly.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    I saw Bon Jovi in the mid eighties, supporting Kiss at Newcastle City Hall.
    Around the same time, my sister saw U2 supporting The Police at Gateshead Stadium