General Advice

CptMuppet
CptMuppet Posts: 32
edited April 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi.
After many weeks of trying to decide what to buy I found a GT Aggressor XC3 for 80 quid , very happy with the purchase as compared to my old Claud Buttler it is as light as a feather. I know this is most probably not the best bike to buy but I really only wanted the frame. I have brought some new wheels for it and hope this is the start of something I can keep working on as a project. I intend to use my bike for work but want to be able to get out and about when ever I get the chance. The one thing I am not sure of is the forks, I have never had lockout forks before and don't know if they are ok? they seem to work ok but when moving the lever to lo k them it slows them down but doesn't lock them, is this right? can I look at repairing them or can someone recommend a decent budget pair please. I am very skint hence why I paid 80 for a bike...lol

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And the forks are?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CptMuppet
    Hi, Sorry, they say Suntour XCM. Other than that not sure
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some meovement in lockout is normal, especially for the better hydraulic lockout ones (the mechanical are rather nasty forks).

You won't get much better forks without spending the same again (used pair), just ride them until they are shot, you could do a basic service by splitting uppers and lowers, glenaing and adding fresh grease.

To split, loosen the 2 allen bolts at the bottom about 5 turns, tap up lightly to remove the interference fit, remove bolts and pull apart, you can do this leaving the upper on the bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CptMuppet
    Thanks for your help, I cant wait to get out on it.
  • Woodmonkey
    Woodmonkey Posts: 412
    One of the mags ran a guide to servicing these a couple of months ago
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • Woodmonkey
    Woodmonkey Posts: 412
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo