Fitting Veloflex Master clinchers

gingermagician
gingermagician Posts: 326
edited April 2013 in Workshop
Just picked up a pair of Veloflex Master clinchers (they call them an 'open tubular') and am having real trouble fitting them to my 2012 Ksyrium Elites.

The Veloflex guidance is not to use any tools when fitting, but I can't really see any way they're going on without them. Very, very tight on this rim - even when fitting the first bead, let alone the second. Not sure why the advice is so firm on this anyway, given you'd definitely need to us a lever in the event of a puncture.

Anyone has any experience with these tyres? They look and feel very supple, so quite fancy trying them out if poss...

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    They were hard to get on my elites first time but after that OK. Problem with using levers to fit is the risk of pinching the inner, esp. if using latex tubes.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Thanks Nap - I was hoping you might respond, given the pic you posted of your de-stickered Elites also played a significant part in me impulse-purchasing the tyres... :lol:

I've read that a decent dose of talc can aid the fitting process, for those of us with delicate fingers :D
  • napoleond
    Brilliant tyres ! :)
    Maybe worth fitting first without a tube, using a lever, take off then fit with tube...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Dust the new tyre and inner tube with talcum powder this helps them slide on and also allows the inner tube to move around under the tyre.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    ... remember this moment when people will advise you against tubulars "because they are a PITA to fit... " :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • napoleond
    Heh, I've never had trouble fitting a tubular, clinchers can be a right PITA!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Heh, I've never had trouble fitting a tubular, clinchers can be a right PITA!

Exactly...
    left the forum March 2023
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Brilliant tyres ! :)
    Maybe worth fitting first without a tube, using a lever, take off then fit with tube...

This has worked for me in the past. I left them for a couple of days to stretch. Much easier afterwards, though I've always had to use one lever.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If you use them on rough, potholed roads then you'd better get used to putting them on and getting them off cos they're delicate tyres.
    More problems but still living....
  • itsnotarace
    itsnotarace Posts: 518
    You risk damaging the bead if you use levers, they go on fine on both my Ksyrium Elites and Ksyrium SLRs but you need strong thumbs