These Carbon frames worth a look ?

avababy24
avababy24 Posts: 162
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Recently built up a new Alan Mercurial Road frame at Xmas with Centaur Red/Black parts and now I'm itching to do the same again but using a Carbon Frame.

I'm only a heavy weight, leisure type rider doing it for fitness and enjoyment so my requirements are modest.

Have been looking around the forum (yes using the sarch function) and I think I have whittled my choice down to these but are there others out there that I've missed ?

Liking these for style..........

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ibbfrar970

and

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRP ... e_and_fork

But I don't know if they are manufactured from good quality carbon or should I just save for one of these Canyons that seem the flavour at the moment ?
Go on then 'flame away'............

Regards

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    both links show not available...
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    A friend was out on a club ride a few weeks ago when someone in the group snapped their Ribble forks. No reason. They just failed. You get what you pay for.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    mattv wrote:
    A friend was out on a club ride a few weeks ago when someone in the group snapped their Ribble forks. No reason. They just failed. You get what you pay for.

So based on your sample of 1 they must be sh1t?

There are plenty of horror stories of high-end frames coming to bits. There's an amazing thread on here someone about a shocking ABG Merlin warranty. Just as there are plenty of tales of satisfied Ribble customers.

I have a Planet X frame myself that's been through a number of heavy crashes and withstood it all. Finish could be a little better but it built up perfectly OK and rides nicely.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    have a look at the Ridley's on CRC
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DesWeller wrote:
    mattv wrote:

So based on your sample of 1 they must be sh1t?

It's a bit laughable isn't it. By that logic, you'd have to live self sufficiently in a mud hut because any manufactured product will have a failure at some point.

You wonder what his logic would be if someone's Colnago fork had snapped......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    No. A cheap frame is just that regardless of material. It does happen to be more pronounced with carbon though...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • avababy24
    The Ridleys, one or two look interestingly shaped but the actual paint schemes offend my senses unfortunately
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I believe both Ribble and Planet-X carbon frames are made in the east by a company who also make frames for De Rosa and Eddy Merckx amongst others.

The R872 (formerly Stealth) has a very good reputation and is the same frame design used in the De Rosa R838 and an older version of the Ciocc Rydon - though actual materials might be different I suppose?

They're great frames - though both quite ridgid racers.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    FWIW A chap in the club has recently got the Ribble and it does look damn fine in the flesh.

He has done about 500 miles on it so far and really rates it.

He is very experienced and has had lots of stuff over the years and he really likes the Ribble.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Recently bought a Dolan Ares SL abit more than the others you ve mentioned but if you go for the An Post replica, Dolan will paint up the green flash (on frame and seat pin) in any colour you like, for no extra and will pressfit in a fsa adaptor for free also, and it does include a nice carbon seat post as well - so the cost is almost comparable.
  • Bookwyse
    Bookwyse Posts: 245
    I run a R872 and can honestly say that it is comparable to much more expensive frames. Have done over 1500 miles on it this year with no issues at all. Even though it has a racier style it is so comfortable on longer rides that I much prefer it to my Orbea.

The wife rides a Planet X SL Pro carbon and likewise she has had no issues at all.

I am in Kent and if you fancy a ride on either of mine just let e know.

Jeff
  • avababy24
    Bookwyse wrote:
    I run a R872 and can honestly say that it is comparable to much more expensive frames. Have done over 1500 miles on it this year with no issues at all. Even though it has a racier style it is so comfortable on longer rides that I much prefer it to my Orbea.

The wife rides a Planet X SL Pro carbon and likewise she has had no issues at all.

I am in Kent and if you fancy a ride on either of mine just let e know.

Jeff
    mamba80 wrote:
    Recently bought a Dolan Ares SL abit more than the others you ve mentioned but if you go for the An Post replica, Dolan will paint up the green flash (on frame and seat pin) in any colour you like, for no extra and will pressfit in a fsa adaptor for free also, and it does include a nice carbon seat post as well - so the cost is almost comparable.

Will look into that - thanks

Very kind offer thank you, but I'm currently located up at Prestwick Airport in Scotland lol
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    mattv wrote:
    Photo; otherwise a bloke I know who ran into Madonna's painter at the pub is calling BS.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • avababy24
    http://www.2dehands.be/fietsen/fietsen/ ... 03801.html

Liking this style but can't seem to find anything much about it ?

Any other sub £1k frames similar to this or the Ribble/Planet x ?

Thanks
  • It sounds like we're looking at much the same bike styles as the Ribble and N2A are both on my radar. I love the PX, but would prefer 105 to SRAM. A frame build is currently at the top of my wanted list. RoadCC said it was exceptionally stiff though, which might not suit the rural roads round where I live.
    http://road.cc/content/news/48133-exclusive-first-ride-planet-x-n2a

I was looking at the Dolan Ares SL too, people I asked only had good things to say about them. BR user bookwyse has a Ribble R782 and he rates it a lot.

Another niche brand I like the look of is Starley, although I can't find many reviews of them. The JKS R1 looks very pretty indeed. You may want to bear these in mind too...
    http://starleybikes.com/bikes/road-bikes/jks-r1/
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    I was in PX not long back, that frame is a beast in the flesh. Looks crazy good in that finish as well. Seriously considered swapping my TCR frame out for it!

Also its well known Ribble were selling the sme bike as De Rosa (same spec, exact same frame) for £1k less.

People still think (for whatever reason) that the 1k paint job makes it better.

Also the ribble scuro rs is a dedacciai frame, for again, half the price of it from dedacciai.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Also its well known Ribble were selling the sme bike as De Rosa (same spec, exact same frame) for £1k less.

People still think (for whatever reason) that the 1k paint job makes it better.

Except for the bloke on here who bought the De Rosa but didn't like the paint job so repainted it black.........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • avababy24
    http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/store/pr ... ber-Frame/

Interesting but don't know much about them or where their frames are manufactured
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I've got a ribble winter bike and I broke my fork the other day. One of the prongs snapped on a chicken bone, next time I'll use a metal fork instead of a disposable plastic one.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • avababy24
    That's a constructive reply -thanks xx
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    As a suggestion - take a look at what's on offer at Paul Milnes Cycles. They have a number of carbon frames on offer through their Ebay shop that might be of interest.

Couple of examples in the links below:_

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/forme-zenith- ... 256f6f159b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/terry-dolan-h ... 256cc46522

No connection with the company but had a good buying experience a few weeks back when I bought an alloy frame from them.
  • avababy24
    Have sent Dolan an email ref this ....

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/Carbon%20Roa ... 20FrameSet

Fingers crossed it comes back with the reply I want to hear, if not the search will continue...