Shimano 105 Rear Hub service

pitchshifter
pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
edited April 2013 in Workshop
I have a rather rough rear hub which I am planning on taking apart and re greasing. The free hub seems fine (will I need to take this off as too?)

Is this an easy job for a first timer?? Or will I make a hash of it, make it worse, leaving me unable to ride my new framset over the weekend?

I have bought a 15mm cone spanner, adjustable spanner, some grease, the Shimano tech document and two hours of spare time. Anything else I need?

Any tips/warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pitchshifter
    nicklouse wrote:

I have, it looks daunting :lol:
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    It's a fairly simple job if you follow their instructions - which are excellent.

You don't need to remove the freewheel - you can get at the bearings with it in place. Take your time and it will be simple enough.

The main lesson I learned from doing that exact model last month was that the adjustment amounts are tiny - use your spokes as a guide so you are only moving small amounts at a time and you can get the tension just right - obviously the wheel has to be clamped by the QR at this point. The ParkTool method of one sided on the outside of the frame works really well.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Or get a 10mm allen key and remove the freehub while you're at it. (you'll have removed the axle by that point, so it's not much extra effort) Pick out the rear seal carefully and you can drizzle in some lube to keep it running sweetly.
  • pitchshifter
    keef66 wrote:
    Or get a 10mm allen key and remove the freehub while you're at it. (you'll have removed the axle by that point, so it's not much extra effort) Pick out the rear seal carefully and you can drizzle in some lube to keep it running sweetly.

Good idea.

@kdog Thanks

How do I know when I have tightened the cones enough? When there is no play?
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Yeah, basically - you tighten them (with the QR tightened as I said) until there is no play - it'll be a really small amount from making them too tight. When you undo the QR you should get a little play and iwith it tight it should be gone but the wheel should spin nicely.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.