MTB GoPro Edit, first attempt!

crispyste
crispyste Posts: 5
edited June 2013 in Your pics and vids
Hello all! I hope you don't mind me popping in here looking for a bit of feedback on my first attempt at mountain bike video editing. This is from a route around part of the North York Moors close to Swainby. Hope you like it and are willing to offer some feedback, be it positive or negative. Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7ZlbGoofJ4
Fat Tyres - Mountain bike routes in the north of England.

Comments

• thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    First off, I'd say that's about 4mins too long. It seems a bit repetitive in places, for instance there is a point you overtake the other cyclist, and then about 3mins later you do the same thing, on what looks like the same stretch of fireroad.
    This raises my other issue, there's too much fireroad. It's not fun watching people fly down a fireroad at all. The most fun looking bit of the video, around 3:40 you walk down!
    Another criticism, the camera placed on the downtube/bottom bracket obscures the view quite a lot of the path ahead, which ruins it a little.
    Last criticism, not sure on the legwear attire on both of you :?

You've got some good ideas though, I think you just need a 'gnarlier' trail to film. The North York Moors are good fun, but it doesn't come across well on video sadly. Keep at it though.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • ^
    whs
  • Thanks for taking the time to watch and comment guys!

You're right, there was lots of fire road on that ride, more to do with the route than the filming. I'm looking forward to getting some video of lake district trails :) there are a few continuity errors to be honest, partly because I was trying to vary the camera angle, but with only one camera.

3:40 was pretty steep and wet! Ha! Maybe when I've regained confidence ;) (this was our first ride for some time)

Legwear - point taken!

Regarding the length of the vid, do you think it's too long just because of the lack of variation or just too long? Must say it was hard enough condensing the footage to 6mins never mind less, but I guess choosing what to leave out is always going to be the hard bit.

The only piece of your criticism that I don't necessarily agree with is the bottom bracket mount. Yes it obscures a lot of the view, but used sparingly I think it adds variety. I admit I didn't exactly use it 'sparingly' this time round, but I will next time :)

Next time I'll include a rear-facing shot of rider(s) behind, and stationary and/or panning camera shots. Any other suggestions for camera angles? Thanks again for the feedback, I'll be back with the next video.
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    I think a video of the Lakes will be a much more exciting video, as the hills there are much better.

The length of the video I would say is on the long side in general. Look at a lot of the others on here, 3 or 4 mins is the maximum really, then the mind starts to wander. You can edit out a lot of the climbing/flat bits, they're just not fun (Have them at the start of the video for 20-30 seconds, then down from then on).

Yes, maybe the BB mount will look good as a 'joining' section, but you only want it for a couple of seconds. It's nice seeing the front wheel move about, or even the suspension being put through its paces, but you only want it to happen for a couple of seconds, when you're going over particularly rough stuff.

Cameras pointing backwards to show the chaser can be really effective!
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    It'll come. Main mistake people make when getting a new camera is chucking as much as possible in the edit. 10 minutes of repetition. I used to do it. Now I have a lot more clips of the lads I'm riding with, bits of the trail, then fast forward some bits, cut other bits completely out. Keep the best bits of trail in. Then maybe cut to some jumps/drops that got sessioned that day. Outtakes of crashes at the end. You get used to it...
  • Thanks for the response Concorde! As I said, first attempt so I didn't expect it to be anything special. I will be back with more!

You implied you video your rides. Are they anywhere online where I can have a look at them?
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    crispyste wrote:
    Thanks for the response Concorde! As I said, first attempt so I didn't expect it to be anything special. I will be back with more!

You implied you video your rides. Are they anywhere online where I can have a look at them?

I'm in the same boat as you mate, just passing on some advice that I read the other day. Mine are on YouTube, they're not great but getting better. But still in the habbit of trying to fit whole runs in and the video ending up 9mins long and not wanting to cut any of it out! :roll:

It'll come....
  • Concorde wrote:
    crispyste wrote:
    Thanks for the response Concorde! As I said, first attempt so I didn't expect it to be anything special. I will be back with more!

I'm in the same boat as you mate, just passing on some advice that I read the other day. Mine are on YouTube, they're not great but getting better. But still in the habbit of trying to fit whole runs in and the video ending up 9mins long and not wanting to cut any of it out! :roll:

It'll come....

Thanks got your message and saved the link for later (can't watch at work) :-)
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    IMO a 20 second clip can say a lot more than 3 or 4 minutes, if it's foy your own viewing then OK but 99% of POV footage is boring.

Of the remaining 1% you just have to clip it to something good.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Hi im new to this forum and gopros and such, please can i havesome comments on this vid. Trying to use different angles and editing software. I use both hd1&2 cams.got admit this is not my first atttempt, so sorrry for hijacking this thread.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfwR1qM ... ata_player
  • Morning all,

I have made a second attempt. What do you think?

There's more to be done here but I was ready to move on to the next vid, it's so time consuming and I now have a backlog of videos to edit!

http://youtu.be/eBTbKrHCxeY
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    sorry mate, I couldn't watch more that a minute. that track is so fecking annoying :lol:
  • welshkev wrote:
    sorry mate, I couldn't watch more that a minute. that track is so ******* annoying :lol:

Ha! Fine then :-) I thought it was just me because I've essentially had it on repeat while editing! Difficult to find royalty free music.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Morning all,

I have made a second attempt. What do you think?

There's more to be done here but I was ready to move on to the next vid, it's so time consuming and I now have a backlog of videos to edit!

http://youtu.be/eBTbKrHCxeY

The music.....I'm afraid it's a no from me
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500