Bikes on a Plane

woodyonthebeach
woodyonthebeach Posts: 583
edited May 2013 in Commuting general
I have asked on within the travel section on the MTB forum but havent had much luck was wondering if anybody can give me a hint, as you all seem a lot more active and friendly over here.

Here is a the link to the original post - viewtopic.php?f=40070&t=12917864

Here the actual post from that section
Herro,

Looking for a bit of advice on taking my MTB on a plane.

I am going on holiday in June to Hungary and will be taking my MTB with me. I have bought the following bike bag from wiggle (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-elsted-wheeled-bike-bag/). Which has some pretty good reviews.

Is there anything I should bare in mind when packing the bag, or adding additional padding to certain parts of the bag to protect the bike on top what is already

Are there things that I should remove from bike? apart from the obvious. (removing wheels, deflating tyres, removing wheel skewers, lowering saddle....)

The bike I will be taking had Hydraulic Disk Brakes. Will I need to do anything additional to them to prepare them for a flight, I still have the shims that were provided when I bought the bike originally so will be sticking those in as I normally do when removing the wheels to transport it anywhere. Also the same with the Suspension fork, should I lock the fork out.

Also in regards to insurance will normal holiday insurance cover any damage done to the bike whilst in transit or will I need to get something specific if so do you have any suggestions.

Thank you for any help/advice in advance

Woody

Thank you for any help/advice in advance
The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I dont like soft-sided bags for flying. Baggage handlers will chuck it around like any other kind of bag.
    You will need to put an axle replacement in the forks to prevent crush damage, shops have a bit of plastic for this.

My preference is for a large polythene bag, the wheels in place and plumbing foam tubes on the frame.
    I have seen baggage handlers and they usually put this on top of the pile of suitcases. Only at Heathrow do they mistreat bikes routinely.
  • Cheers Michael for tips. I'm heading to the bike shop tomorrow so I will ask to raid the bin.

Woody
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • I felt cheated after watching Snakes on a Plane.
    No way I'm watching this one.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Hey Woodster,

I took my bike on a plane last month to go to Spain.

31-03-2013_01.jpg

That's an SX Trail hidden in there in a soft shell (heavy duty cloth) bag.

I removed:

wheels (obviously)
    saddle n seat post
    discs off wheels
    disc brakes off frame
    handlebars
    pedals
    rear mech

I also put all the pipe lagging on there. Get that and a big bag of zip ties from your local hardware store for about eight quid.

Finally I put shims in between the pads on my disc brakes and also have a rear axle spacer to reduce the chances of any squashing/crushing taking place

Body armour if you wear it can also be used to good effect

I don't see the need to deflate your tyres or lock out your suspension. I never have and bike has been fine.

Oh and don't take any CO2 cartridges with you. you might as well write B_O_M_B on your bag although undoubtedly peeps will have a story about how they have travelled with them before. If you want a hassle free journey then don't do it.

I also know a baggage handler who works on the Gatwick ramp who happens to be a keen cyclist and he gets the right arse if you accuse baggage handlers of abusing bikes. He treats them all as he would his own although obviously he can't comment on what other airports may do.
    FCN = 4
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    Is that like Snakes on a Plane?
  • Does anyone consider it safe at all to just load the bike as is, or is that just damage waiting to happen?
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I felt cheated after watching Snakes on a Plane.
    No way I'm watching this one.

Beat me to it! :D
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    Does anyone consider it safe at all to just load the bike as is, or is that just damage waiting to happen?
    No chance. I would remove as many bits as I could - especially wheels. And then make sure that it is bubblewrapped and polystrene covered, so that no bit of the bike can be seen.

After issues with my snowboards (a flat, seemingly easy to transport object), I don't trust any baggage handler.
    I would use a hard-case if I could, but baggage allowances are getting smaller and smaller.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • MTB-Idle wrote:
    Hey Woodster,

I took my bike on a plane last month to go to Spain.

31-03-2013_01.jpg

That's an SX Trail hidden in there in a soft shell (heavy duty cloth) bag.

I removed:

wheels (obviously)
    saddle n seat post
    discs off wheels
    disc brakes off frame
    handlebars
    pedals
    rear mech

I also put all the pipe lagging on there. Get that and a big bag of zip ties from your local hardware store for about eight quid.

Finally I put shims in between the pads on my disc brakes and also have a rear axle spacer to reduce the chances of any squashing/crushing taking place

Body armour if you wear it can also be used to good effect

I don't see the need to deflate your tyres or lock out your suspension. I never have and bike has been fine.

Oh and don't take any CO2 cartridges with you. you might as well write B_O_M_B on your bag although undoubtedly peeps will have a story about how they have travelled with them before. If you want a hassle free journey then don't do it.

I also know a baggage handler who works on the Gatwick ramp who happens to be a keen cyclist and he gets the right ars* if you accuse baggage handlers of abusing bikes. He treats them all as he would his own although obviously he can't comment on what other airports may do.

Could have come at a better time. I have a play last night and checked the fitting in the bag as I had to do some quick maintenance (whoops should not have started, but thats another story), did not the disk brake callipers look in a bit of dodgy position so they will come off.

Im going to be making a trip to the local hardware store as I want to get some threaded rod to make some spacers for the frame and forks, so will pick up some lagging whilst I am there. I have a shed load of cable ties but looks like I could do with some more :).

Thanks for the pick as well. That really helped

Woody
  • mmuk
    mmuk Posts: 398
    Does anyone consider it safe at all to just load the bike as is, or is that just damage waiting to happen?
    No chance. I would remove as many bits as I could - especially wheels. And then make sure that it is bubblewrapped and polystrene covered, so that no bit of the bike can be seen.

After issues with my snowboards (a flat, seemingly easy to transport object), I don't trust any baggage handler.
    I would use a hard-case if I could, but baggage allowances are getting smaller and smaller.

I've used CTC clear bags several times, with the bike complete (rear derailler dropped and tied) and not (yet!) had a problem - I think if they can see it, they are more careful (maybe!)

MM
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Check out what this fella did:

DSCF2988.jpg

Complete thread here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40003&t=12848113
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • My Wife looked over my shoulder at the point I scrolled to this on the forum. I was met with a very firm gaze and said no, queue puss in boots style eyes and even then came the response not even diamonds will help.

Still wants to do this. Maybe when it comes to her bike being taken on plane things will be different
    DesWeller wrote:
    Check out what this fella did:

DSCF2988.jpg

Complete thread here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40003&t=12848113