Spares Inventory

rockhopper71
rockhopper71 Posts: 8
edited May 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hi All,

I will be riding from Germany to London in September this year and need to put together an inventory of spares and items to consider for this trip.
Does anyone have a list that would be willing to share, along with any other thoughts that might be of use?

I would really appreciate any input.

Many thanks,
Tony

Comments

• If your bike is in reasonable condition then...
    Take - bike pump, puncture repair kit i.e. patches & tyre levers, and multi-tool
    Optional - spare inner tube, chain oil, chain tool (if not on multi-tool) and a couple of spare links of chain, and a couple of spare bolts in case racks come loose etc.

if you want to see my equipment lists inc tools and spares for tours I've done then check: 11,000km Americas tour kit list and 3 week Cuba tour kit list
  • Thanks so much I will take a look.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    It depends a bit on the condition of the bike. I'd probably start with a fresh middle chainring and chain - but if they are worn, carry spares.

I'd definitely take a spare inner tube - without a bowl of water to hand fixing a puncture at the roadside is a bit tricky. Chainlube is probably also a must - decent chainlube it's one of those things that is hard to find when you really need it.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    a spare mech hanger if needed. saved my ride on a few mtb events.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I take a multi-tool including chain tool, allen keys and screwdrivers. I also take a good quality spoke key and a small adjustable spanner. I wrap it all up in a cotton rag suitable for wiping the chain and sprockets clean. For lubing the chain, I decant some Finish Line wet lube into a tiny plastic bottle. I also take a puncture repair kit, a spare inner tube, a quick link for the chain and a couple of zip ties. I make sure that chain, cables and brake blocks are all in good condition before I go away - if they do break or wear out on a trip, a cycle shop is never far away in western Europe so I don't bother carrying spares.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Mercia Man wrote:
    ... a cycle shop is never far away in western Europe so I don't bother carrying spares.

IME many small bike shops outside larger towns are closed on Sundays and Mondays, and have a limited stock. You can't plan for every eventuality, and sometimes you can limp along, but it's worth taking a sensible selection.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    andymiller wrote:
    Mercia Man wrote:
    ... a cycle shop is never far away in western Europe so I don't bother carrying spares.

IME many small bike shops outside larger towns are closed on Sundays and Mondays, and have a limited stock. You can't plan for every eventuality, and sometimes you can limp along, but it's worth taking a sensible selection.
    Not taking spares is silly. As the above poster says shops can be closed or too far a walk. All you need is a few lightweight things to see you through most breakdowns, so why not carry them?