Stiff legs

Afternoon.

The last 2 sportives that I've completed I've experienced a wierd stiff legged sensation that I'm struggling to understand the cause so I though I'd throw it open to you guys here. After taking the first few miles at a fairly steady pace to ensure I've properly warmed up, I increase the tempo and try to ride at just below threshold ( i.e the fastest pace before conversation becomes stacatto'd ) for the remainder. After about 35 miles, when i have previously exprienced no issues, my legs start to really feel stiff and achey and really hurt to try and put any effort through. I'm trying to ride at the same speed on the flats ( anywhere from about 23-30 mph ) and I'm struggling to sustain 18mph and my heart rate won't get above 65-70% max. It feels like I've pulled all the muscles in my legs, comparable when you wake up in the morning after a hard ride with no warmup or cool down. I ride to work every day on the same bike, around 15 miles in total. I try to make up for what I lack in endurance on my commute by doing a few intervals ( i.e Strava sprints .... ). It's only been the last 2 sportives that I suffered this and nothing else has changed.....

Anyone any ideas

Cheers
FCN 5 - Fuji Roubaix 2
FCN 11 - Giant Trance X3

Comments

• T_Pucker
    T_Pucker Posts: 18
    Tough one this.
  • What have you got in your bidon?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    If your body isn't used to riding long distances then its not going to feel right when you do ride a long distance, especially when you're trying to ride just below threshold rather than perhaps taking a slightly slower endurance approach.
  • steve6690
    steve6690 Posts: 190
    Do you ever take a day off from cycling ? Could be either overtraining or a diet issue.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    23-30mph on the flat ? I think I've got the same problem - do that for 35 miles and my legs start feeling funny too :wink:

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    I'm trying to ride at the same speed on the flats ( anywhere from about 23-30 mph ) and I'm struggling to sustain 18mph and my heart rate won't get above 65-70% max

First I'd check under the seat to make sure the turbo button is still working.
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    bonking? Do you feel a little spaced out at all? I get similar feeling when I'm bonking but I also feel a little spaced. First thing to look at is are you fuelling sufficiently? It's surprising how much energy you get through if riding at a steady high intensity and its important to fuel before you start hitting the wall.