S-Works Venge help/advice

jamiemilbourn
jamiemilbourn Posts: 62
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
Evening,

Appreciating the fact I should go and sit on one... However can anyone offer advice on sizing?

I am 5'7.5" with a 31" inside leg.

Do you think a 52" venge would be adequate?

Advice greatly received (until I can get to the concept store at the weekend - and risk loosing a deal...)

Thanks

Jamie

Comments

• Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    It's the obvious place to start but proportions and flexibility may steer to another size.
  • Having just measured myself I am actually 5'7" and inside leg is 30".

I guess I need to sit on one to know for sure..

Any other key measurements I should ask for/consider?
  • stongle
    stongle Posts: 61
    Get a fit, your almost same size as me and after a Retul fit we couldn't get a 52cm Venge to fit (LBS had a special on a 2012 frame). I'm on a 54cm Madone now (not the brand I first wanted either), but I'd rather a bike that fits first.

Of course I could be odd, but if the shop is offering a deal on a quick sale offer a deposit subject to an acceptable fit?
    Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
    Wet - 2013 Madone 7 Series
    Commuting & general abuse - Boardman AIR9.2s
    Carbon and electric everything. I've yet to get zapped and nothings melted (yet anyway)
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    stongle wrote:
    Get a fit, your almost same size as me and after a Retul fit we couldn't get a 52cm Venge to fit (LBS had a special on a 2012 frame). I'm on a 54cm Madone now (not the brand I first wanted either), but I'd rather a bike that fits first.

Of course I could be odd, but if the shop is offering a deal on a quick sale offer a deposit subject to an acceptable fit?

Sorry as this is a bit off topic, but I find it bizarre that you couldn't get a Venge to fit....

I don't know what they do during a Retul bike fit, but I find it very hard to accept that with all the variations you could have on ANY frame (frame size/stem length/bar width/drop/reach/crank length/saddle position) you couldn't get it to fit. Surely with all the options out there for all of these variables it would be possible for ANYONE to get a good fit on ANY manufacturers frame which they wanted to buy??

I accept all the variations that are out there in terms of frame geometry, but you only have to look to the pro peloton to see huge differences in riders shape all riding the same frames but with massively different finishing kit to get the frames to fit.
  • snakedoc
    snakedoc Posts: 200
    I'm also 5'7" with a 31" inside leg (65kg)
    I struggled to feel comfortable on a 54 venge due to its higher top tube compared to the Tarmac.
    I've got a 54 Tarmac which fits me perfectly.
    Assumed that if I wanted the venge I'd have to for a 52 and just get a longer stem

Try to get to Spesh's concept store as they're really good at helping with these issues.

(I settled on another Tarmac in the end as I got a good deal on an S Works, plus I thought I'd play to my strengths)
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Although 5' 7" is 5' 7", it depends how it is made up. One might have long legs and a short torso while the other is the complete opposite. In short, try one out.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Have said it multiple times on here but the critical thing about the venge is the tall stand-over. It has very tall seat stays which give it a tight rear triangles for acceleration. This in turn adds 1/2cm to the stand over which can ruin a bike for shorter riders or guys with short inseam overall. Would not even think about dropping £££ on a Venge without a. sitting on one and b. booking a test ride via a demo store as Spesh UK have them in the demo fleet.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Eh? Are you just talking about avoiding hitting your knackers on the top tube? Stand-over height should have no business in determining if a bike fits.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I'm just a smidge taller than you (1cm?) and I have an SL4 Sworks in 54.

No way I could go to a 52 as I'm already running a 130mm stem and have a fair bit of seatpost out. It fits me great like this.

I don't really see why a higher toptube would be a problem. In almost all other respects the Venge has the same geometry as an SL4.

So I would say - sporty, agressive position, 54. If more relaxed, then MAYBE a 52, but be careful.

Just out of interest, why the Venge and not the SL4? Looks?
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    nferrar wrote:
    Eh? Are you just talking about avoiding hitting your knackers on the top tube? Stand-over height should have no business in determining if a bike fits.

Yes. Correct. But high stand over can effect how a bike feels and reacts to the rider. I rode a 56cm Tarmac bought a 56cm Venge and it felt dreadful due to the extra stand over. Had I known I would have bought a 54cm but like everyone I assume the geo was exactly like the Tarmac, when in fact it is not. The humped top tube completely changes the position of the fit, the look of the fit/bike and the perception of headtube length - in my humble opinion. I can ride a 54cm Venge where as the 54cm Tarmac is too small....
  • stongle
    stongle Posts: 61
    stongle wrote:

Sorry as this is a bit off topic, but I find it bizarre that you couldn't get a Venge to fit....

I don't know what they do during a Retul bike fit, but I find it very hard to accept that with all the variations you could have on ANY frame (frame size/stem length/bar width/drop/reach/crank length/saddle position) you couldn't get it to fit. Surely with all the options out there for all of these variables it would be possible for ANYONE to get a good fit on ANY manufacturers frame which they wanted to buy??

I accept all the variations that are out there in terms of frame geometry, but you only have to look to the pro peloton to see huge differences in riders shape all riding the same frames but with massively different finishing kit to get the frames to fit.

I have a very long body (relative to leg length) and would have needed a very, very long stem. It matters not what you believe but how the bike fits the individual. You wouldnt pay 6k+ for a suit that doesnt fit, a bike is no different Retul is one methodology of fit, there are others. I ended up with a bike i'm comfortable on. The fit also identified that I needed shorter cranks (so went with 165mm Rotors) and 38cm handlebars (which meant I couldnt have the Zipp ones I hankered after).

If there is a time incentive at play offer a deposit, but I would'nt accept internet advice on what "should" fit, over a real fit anytime.
    Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
    Wet - 2013 Madone 7 Series
    Commuting & general abuse - Boardman AIR9.2s
    Carbon and electric everything. I've yet to get zapped and nothings melted (yet anyway)
  • Thanks all for the advice, I tried it today and as though/suggested on here it felt too small.

Probably had another few cm's of seat post left but I did not feel comfortable.

As suggested ill pop to my concept store and try the venge and the Tarmac...

Purely went for looks of the venge and need to try out both before dropping ££££'s on one.

Thanks