Shoe Advice

Shaun67
Shaun67 Posts: 219
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
After going to work on my bike yesterday and having a very near miss with a fool in an Audi Q7 I need some
new cycling shoes. The woman in the Audi drove past me that close and at speed that the door mirror or some
part of the car hit my hip, arm and bars, this put me into a huge speed wobble. I managed to stay on the bike,
but god knows how. I'm very lucky that the only damage was to the outside of my left shoe. I think it rubbed
on the curb and has all but worn it through.

So I need some new ones, I have been wearing dhb R2.0's and have quite liked them, but I'm thinking of something
a bit better as I now cycle quite a bit more than I did when I purchased them. I've had a look on the internet but it's
like everything, too much choice. Can anyone recommend any so I can start to narrow it down a bit. Thanks.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Bonts. [/thread]
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    You rarely find a Q7 driver who isn't either an a***hole or half blind.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    What's your budget? Pointless people recommending £200+ shoes if you only want to spend say £50. Personally I use Specialized S-Works shoes (have done for the last few years) but am likely to give the new Bont Vaypours a try when they're finally released, mostly as curious on heat-mouldable shoes and the Spesh shoes have a slightly more cramped toe-box than I'd like.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Specialzed +1

But you really need to pop into a shop and try them on. My specialized is half a size bigger than my last pair.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Shaun67
    Shaun67 Posts: 219
    I'm looking at something around £150 ish, I quite like the look of the Specialized Expert with the
    wired lace system.

I know I'll have to try before I buy, but with such a large choice and not all shops stocking all
    brands I thought I'd ask first :D .
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    fatsmoker wrote:

Fairly sweeping statement. I would have thought the only thing that links Q7 drivers is that they have a bit of dosh :roll:
    That said I would agree that a lot of people buy them to show off and a lot of people cannot drive very well whatever car they have.

Sorry to hear about your near miss Shaun. Do you know why the car was so close? She was not trying to squeeze past you and solid white lines by any chance was she?

As for shoes, I fancy a pair of Lakes but the cost is a bit of an obstacle at the mo.
    Wiggle are doing a deal on shoes at the moment and CRC often have some cheap options if you can find your size.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Carbonator wrote:
    fatsmoker wrote:

Fairly sweeping statement. I would have thought the only thing that links Q7 drivers is that they have a bit of dosh :roll:
    That said I would agree that a lot of people buy them to show off and a lot of people cannot drive very well whatever car they have.

Sorry to hear about your near miss Shaun. Do you know why the car was so close? She was not trying to squeeze past you and solid white lines by any chance was she?

As for shoes, I fancy a pair of Lakes but the cost is a bit of an obstacle at the mo.
    Wiggle are doing a deal on shoes at the moment and CRC often have some cheap options if you can find your size.
    yeah but to be fair, most Q7 drivers are di*ks ...
  • +1 for Bont

I've been riding in a pair of A2's (cheaper than the vaypors) for months now, and never ever give my feet a second thought when riding, unlike before.
  • tazmon
    tazmon Posts: 107
    I've recently gone for Bontrager RL's. They are my first road shoe and are light and very comfortable. I needed a size bigger than my usual shoe size though.

Cheers
    Rory
    Road - Scott Solace
    Mountain - Santa Cruz Tazmon (retro) and Scott Spark
  • Grill wrote:
    Bonts. [/thread]

QFT

A-twos should be in budget.