Boardman mountain Comp for commuting? or something else?

lux666
lux666 Posts: 18
edited April 2013 in Commuting general
Hi all! Guys i need your help.. i have boardman mountain comp but i wont use it for any offroads, trails. i need bike for commuting... is it good idea to change tyres to Continental Gatorskin 26 x1.125, travelcontact or buy hybrid bike like Fitness 5, boardman comp hybrid (max 500£)? im not feel secure on roads bikes (drop bar)....
Many thx for any help!

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I prefered Schwalbe Duranos (28mm/1.1inch) to Gatorskins, especially in the wet on my roadified/hybridised MTB. I've since switched to a road bike and feel more secure except when I get it up past 45mph and the tyres are at too low pressure but that's moot since the MTB wouldn't get much past 45mph and tend to keep the tyres pumped up.

You could always just replace the fork and get more road gearing like a 48T big ring (FSA Alpha 48/36/26) and 11-28 cassette rather than a whole new bike.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • lux666
    many thx for help, and what would you buy for max 500 (as second bike, hybrid/road)?
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    If I was buying a second bike it'd be a Voodoo Hoodoo MTB for winter and off road use.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • lux666
    so the best option is boardman for offroad and buy btwin fit5 /triban 5 (as i cant find triban 3 in my size) for road or just swap it for boardman hybrid?
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    Just buy a set of 29er wheels and fit 700cx28 tyres on them, that way it'll be quicker on road and still retain off road ability if required.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road