Bash/chain guard for triple chain rings?

broona
broona Posts: 414
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
Looking to fit a bash guard to my Morewood Kwela - http://www.bikeactive.com/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=9604744

It's got a 44t big ring, so I guess I'm looking at something like the MRP XGC?

Little confused between BB and ISCG fitting too, don't think my bike has ISCG (but I don't really know what it is anyway, lol!), so any advice much appreciated.

Is the MRP the bit of kit I need, or is there anything better out there? Cheers. :)

Comments

• BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    BB fitting means using the RHS bearing cup to clamp the chain device against your frame's BB shell.

ISCG tabs are two lugs that hang underneath the frame's BB shell. The chain device bolts into these lugs. I don't think your frame has these.

Clearly, the latter option is more robust.

I couldn't say if the BB fitting option would work on your bike. If your BB cups already have a 2.5mm spacer between the BB shell and bearing cup, then this device would replace that spacer, and you should be OK. You can't just insert it regardless as you might crush the bearings when fitting the crank back in place.

I was in the same position as you a couple of years ago. I changed to a 36x24 double with bash. I didn't find I was missing the outer. There are times when a 36x11 isn't high enough, but that's getting on for 30mph, which is about as fast as I'm willing to go off-road without any body armour !

I'd not spend the money on that MPR device, and spend it on a proper bash ring, like a RaceFace or Hope if you want some colour choices. You might find the 34 a bit low at first. You could eventually aim for a 38/24 at the front (I've got this on another bike). 38x11 really should be enough, especially if you're riding on terrain rugged enough to justify a bash ring !
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    Thanks for the in depth reply, just looked at my bike, and it doesn't have any lugs under the BB, but it does appear to have a spacer between the shell and the cup.

Really don't want to go 2x10, but it looks like it may be the sensible option, not just yet though, the poor bike's currently set up as a hybrid with touring tyres on ready for my C2C in a couple of weeks, lol! :)