Post race recovery

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
Is is worth doing an hours very easy ride , either out on the road or on turbo a bit later?
I had a VERY hard road race yesterday.. TPeaks HR TSS was given as over 300, and Golden Cheetah estimated TSS as 189.
Compounded by the fact I had to work afterwards and an early shift this morning.. sleep time much constrained and no quality to it at al really.
Head is still muzzy and a fair amount of general fatigue and doms.
I never know what is best sometimes.

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Personally if it were me I would as feel it helps me by getting the blood flowing. Having said that know that others think it a waste of time.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I've just taken to having a total day off after a ride like that, yesterday I had a 300 tss race, today is a rest day, I can make up for that rest day later in the week in terms of CTL but if I tried to do anything today I'd be shit for a lot longer.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Day off for me. Sometimes recovery rides are so boring I push a bit harder than I intended, so I find it better to remove the temptation and do nothing - unless it's really sunny and I can get an ice cream in the park.
  • Setarkos
    Setarkos Posts: 239
    This seems to be very different for everybody.
    Personally I recover noticeably better if I get out for an hour or a bit less and spin my legs at ~50% FTP.
    I also like to take slow walk (~30min) in the evening (eg. after dinner) after a hard race, especially if I got something long/hard the next day.
    10-20min low gear spinning immediately after helps me as well.
    I know plenty of people though who prefer to not do anything so I'd say you have to try it out for yourself.
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    It really depends. I find it harder to get back to it after a day off, so I tend to do 30 mins at ~40% FTP. Note that I always do this on the turbo though (to prevent me from going too hard).
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I'm glad people have the luxury of not having to cycle to and from work!
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Setarkos
    Herbsman wrote:
    I'm glad people have the luxury of not having to cycle to and from work!

Every day, make great recovery rides if you don't race the other commuters at every traffic light.
  • Herbsman
    True. I reckon I mananaged to keep both commutes under 100w yesterday. But most days, I pedal harder than I would ideally want to. Mostly because I actually want to get to work on the same day.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • okgo
    Mine are 17 miles each way. No matter how easy you do them that's more TSS than a recovery ride should be.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Herbsman
    Mine are only 5 :D quite lucky in that regard. Would have to get public transport or drive a couple of days a week if it was as long as yours!
  • Setarkos
    Herbsman wrote:
    True. I reckon I mananaged to keep both commutes under 100w yesterday. But most days, I pedal harder than I would ideally want to. Mostly because I actually want to get to work on the same day.

I admit, I don't find it easy psychologically but at ~150W you're easily cruising at 15mph if it's not too hilly/windy and on 5 miles it'll make about 5min difference.
    okgo wrote:
    Mine are 17 miles each way. No matter how easy you do them that's more TSS than a recovery ride should be.

Yes true - unfortunate - but it shouldn't upset your training regime too much, does it?
    If it bothers you, you could ride one way with intervals - maybe taking in a detour - and the other as recovery?
  • okgo
    No. When my legs need a rest I get the train. Annoyingly this week due to meetings I've had to get the train in each day when is rather have got some commuting done.
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    Spinning for 30mins seems to help my legs after a race. I get on the rollers though so not having to increase pace due to traffic, lights etc. Also i stretch after this for 5 mins.

Do you fuel enough before, during and after races? 300 TSS with a big calorie deficit is certainly going to make you feel pretty zonked out and potentially limit gains / ability to train.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    edten wrote:
    Spinning for 30mins seems to help my legs after a race. I get on the rollers though so not having to increase pace due to traffic, lights etc. Also i stretch after this for 5 mins.

Do you fuel enough before, during and after races? 300 TSS with a big calorie deficit is certainly going to make you feel pretty zonked out and potentially limit gains / ability to train.

I

Tomorrow is another day - not raced the circuit before but have an inkling that bits of it are going to really hurt at race pace. I probably will need to have my gel bottle in back pocket on this one.
    I do try my best at the post race nutrition though with the light duties on the turbo.