Stem with more than 6-degree rise

small_bloke
small_bloke Posts: 222
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi

Most of the stems seem to be + or minus 6-degrees. I want one that gives me a greater drop so its almost horizontal and gives me a slightly lower riding position on the front. The stem spacers have been removed to lower the front-end but I wanted it lowering just a fraction more.

31.8mm clamp size.

Thanks.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The 3T ARX team stem looks nice and offers 17deg but maybe the best option would be a Specialized Comp stem which has a shim that allows you to vary the drop considerably. I have had both types and they are ok and hold their value reasonably well if you do want to move one.

I have never really found much difference in 'performance' of stems but some certainly look nicer than others and even weigh 5g less too :)
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    dont 3T and Deda both do these - theres a 17 degree one for Cervelo R3 owners
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I use a Zipp service course sl -17 ( note the minus, not +!!!)
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Somewhere in the middle of the standard 6 deg and 17 extremes are Easton stems, which are 10 deg, might be a good choice. For example:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=92917
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Thomson do 10s and 17s
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I got a 10 degree one by 3T from planet X. Different clamp size in my case though. Those few degrees make a big difference.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • small_bloke
    small_bloke Posts: 222
    passout wrote:
    I got a 10 degree one by 3T from planet X. Different clamp size in my case though. Those few degrees make a big difference.

Thanks for this. Price range is about right as well £10-30. So cheap enough to try without wasting money on expensive parts. Can't seem to spot any with 31.8 clamp and short sizes such as 70mm, 80mm, 90mm with 10 or 17 degree slope.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Yes, I went for 130mm in the non oversized clamp size. I guess they are reduced as they don't have the more popular sizes in. You may not get such a discount to be honest. Seems like a nice stem though.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.