Considering Buying the Sufferfest videos.

rgliniany
rgliniany Posts: 753
i was just wondering if anybody here has them and if they want to give them to me for free insead of me paying for them.......... just kidding :lol:

did you find them useful in improving your fitness/strength on the bike? are they worth the outlay or do you have other training videos you use?

ta muchly
It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    They are fantastic to do as your 'hard' workout once a week, very good at improving fitness.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • rgliniany
    awesome.... thanks.... got to work myself to becoming a knight... going to try and acheive it before the season starts next year.... something to keep me occupied in the winter months eh?
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

URL Pinkbike
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    If the workouts suit the training you're trying to do then they're great. Don't just do them because they're fun with music though :)
  • I've purchased a few of them and they're a good 'alternative' if you need a bit of motivation.

At the same time, once you've done the same video a few times it becomes less useful, because you kind of know what is coming and you can replicate the session elsewhere with different music if you like.

I actually prefer my own choice of music - I don't really get too much hype from watching videos while on the turbo.

In summary, worth a try and a good thing to mix up your training, but I wouldn't buy the whole set.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I think they are good for what they are - personally I found I preferred a structured interval session with my own music - but I know people that do use them a lot.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    They are good...worth trying one and seeing how you like it rather than getting them all at once though.

I find even just an hour on the turbo without them can be extremely tedious, i always start off with good intentions but after a while i will avoid sessions because i struggle to cope with the boredom rather than avoiding the exercise. Sufferfest helps with that.
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    rgliniany wrote:
    did you find them useful in improving your fitness/strength on the bike? are they worth the outlay or do you have other training videos you use?

ta muchly

If you're wanting to use your turbo specifically to improve fitness/strength, then I would have thought it would be best to follow an actual structured plan. You don't get this with Sufferfest, although I see they've just launched something along those lines.

Have you considered having a go with TrainerRoad software? With that, you can actually follow such a plan, and I find it keeps the workouts from being even remotely monotonous. You can also combine it with Sufferfest videos.

The interesting thing is to look at the profiles of the Sufferfest video on TrainerRoad. Some have quite structured workouts, others look to me to be all over the place, so I'm quite selective in which I buy.

I find the videos good fun to do every so often, but only as an alternative/break from a proper plan.

HTH,
    MarkP
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    + 1 for Sufferfest and/or Trainer Road. I had quite a few of the SF videos before I signed on to TR and thought they were brilliant to fight boredom but it was only when I did them with TR that I realised I just wasn't doing them properly.

The problem is, unless you have a power meter and some idea of your FTP etc it's very difficult to judge effort on a scale of 1-10 consistently and that's what Sufferfest relies on. When you link it with TR and it gives you the effort level required based on your fitness then it puts them into a different dimension.

Personally, I would save the money on the videos and start using TR where you can still do the Sufferfest plans but without the video which gets a bit boring when you've done them a few times anyway and just listen to your own music.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • rgliniany
    Cheers to everybody above so far...nice honest and helpful... i hadnt heard of Trainer Road before now so will give it a look too.....

URL Pinkbike