help - cannondale supersix wobbly forks after stem flip

GRicha
GRicha Posts: 90
edited April 2013 in Workshop
Hi! Fairly new to cycling and I literally have no clue on fixing things, anyway I flipped my stem and after putting it all back there is what I can only describe as a flex in my front forks where it just looks like it hasn't been fitted correctly I've tried a few times and its still the same? Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    A friend of mine has a supersix, very nice bike.

It sounds to me as if the headset has not been tensioned enough before the stem has been tightened. Put the stem on the steer tube with the top cap and bolt in place. With the stem still loose, tighten the bolt on the top until there is not play in the forks when you try to rock the bike back and forth with the front brake on hard. Ensure the forks turn smoothly from side to side. If not, undo the bolt slightly until they do. Then tighten the stem bolts, which will lock the headset and forks in place. There shouldn't be any excessive play, and the front wheel should turn smoothly.
  • GRicha
    Yeah I keep trying this maybe I'm doing something wrong the threadless bolt seems to tighten really quickly and that's it!
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    It's fighting back, no Supersix deserves a flipped up stem!
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    GRicha wrote:
    Yeah I keep trying this maybe I'm doing something wrong the threadless bolt seems to tighten really quickly and that's it!

You did slacken the two side bolts on the stem before tightening the top bolt didnt you?? The stem basically clamps onto the fork steerer, and so has to be lose to allow the top cap to pull it all tight.

Also, you did put all the spacers back didnt you? If you remove the top cap then the end of the fork steerer tube should be a couple of mm or so down inside the stem.
  • GRicha
    Yup I've loosened the bolts on the stem and all the spacers are there, but once it comes to tightening it all up the forks still have play in them :x
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I don't know what sort of headset these have, but it could be that one of the bearings has moved and is trapped between the steerer and frame or stacked on the other bearings, or same sort of thing with a broken bit of bearing cage.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Is this a carbon steerer with a 'bung' inside?
    As you have already sussed, headset adjustments etc can be tricky sometimes.

The stem bolts do NOT take away play in the headset.
    Have a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMta1eJWuVc there is a part 2 where you need to be
    err yes a flipped stem on a Supersix probably did upset it
  • GRicha
    It fits better for me flipped!! The bung inside is what I can describe 4 pieces of (I don't know what) held in place against a bolt buy a black elastic band!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    GRicha wrote:
    It fits better for me flipped!! The bung inside is what I can describe 4 pieces of (I don't know what) held in place against a bolt buy a black elastic band!

Essentially that pulls up and tightens the headset bearings taking away the 'play' but allowing the steering to be smooth.
    That pesky upturned stem gets tightened with its own little bolts so that the bars dont move side to side.
  • GRicha
    Well I'm out !! I've tried everything, I think the guy who put the bike together may have done something wrong!?! LBS on Monday I think!! Cheers for your help guys
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    Don't give up so easily, can you confirm that the bung is clamped inside the steerer tube and sits below the top of the steerer, i would guess at least 1cm but it could be 3-4cm dependant on length of steerer tube. If the bung is not clamped inside the tube it may well be when you tighten the top cap bolt it is simply drawing the bung up until it is against the underside of the top cap itself.

Also make sure there is a gap between the top of the steerer tube and the top of the stem so that tension can be applied.

Have another go, regardless of anything people should be able maintain their own bikes.
  • GRicha
    I think that's what's happening the bung keeps coming right up to the bottom of the cap!? I have no idea how too square this one away
  • spacers
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    If the bung is sliding up inside the steerer as you tighten the top cap, you'll need to take the stem off again and re-position the bung and tighten it up. There's probably a slot for a large allen key inside to slacken and tighten the bung.

If that's OK, it might be that the top cap is fouling the top of the bung and locking up before there's enough tension on the headset. If the bung can go down further, just loosen it, and drop it down a few mm before tightening it up again. If it's the sort of bung that has a ridge to keep it sat right at the top of the steerer, then you may need to add an extra small steerer spacer ABOVE the stem to give the top cap enough depth to seat properly.