Fulcrum racing zeros

stueys
stueys Posts: 1,332
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
Has anyone any experience or views on these? Some resonable-ish deals at the moment.

Comments

• carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    I have them on my S Works and seem to spin up quick and look nice.

If you want to order spare spokes etc go straight to I-bikes ( distributor ) as none of dealers seem to have much in the way of stock.

Not sure I would pay much over £700 for a pair as they are not worth it IMHO, although they do have carbon hubs and are quite light, but not staggeringly so.

Seem to be very slightly out of true but they may be as I am right on the recommended weight limit, or perhaps they were like that when I bought the bike.

Have ordered the special Fulcrum spoke wrench to true them up.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    You mean I-ride. I-ride will not sell tot the public. However shops like me if we need Fulcrum parts just pick up the phone to the freindly and helpful fold there and just order. I had to that for bearing and cone kit for a customer R3 wheels. Parts are not hard to come buy the trick is does the distribtor have the stock when you need it and the answer is not always, sometimes you have to wait. Fulcrm wheels however are generally reliable, good thing for what they cost. The weight limits fulcrum give are conservative but it all depends on the rider, one 85kg rider will have no issues while another may.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Thanks for that. I'm going around the houses on wheels from handbuilt to c24 to c35 and now the fulcrum's. They look like a good bet at the current price so I may give them a spin.
  • LOCKER
    LOCKER Posts: 17
    I rode mine for the first time today after upgrading from R3s. For the first few miles I couldn't tell much difference but as the ride went on the more I became impressed. Very stiff but compliant over any chewed up road surfaces. Ok there are lighter out there for the money but these look nice and spin forever, would certainly recommend.
    Dry Argon 18 Gallium Pro 2010.
    Wet Wilier Evasion
  • carrock
    You mean I-ride. I-ride will not sell tot the public. However shops like me if we need Fulcrum parts just pick up the phone to the freindly and helpful fold there and just order. I had to that for bearing and cone kit for a customer R3 wheels. Parts are not hard to come buy the trick is does the distribtor have the stock when you need it and the answer is not always, sometimes you have to wait. Fulcrm wheels however are generally reliable, good thing for what they cost. The weight limits fulcrum give are conservative but it all depends on the rider, one 85kg rider will have no issues while another may.

Yes I-ride. And yes they will as I just bought spoke, spoke wrench from them.
  • carrock

Fulcrum suggest more frequent inspections over 82kg but that is not the weight limit

I am 107 kg. and the weight limit is 109 kg.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    I have had mine for 12 months + now, absolutely love them. They are plenty stiff enough for my 80 odd kilo weight - no brake rub and they feel very lively on climbs. The ceramic bearings are incredible, if you spin these wheels they seem to spin for ever (although I am not looking forward to the cost of replacing the bearings, when that day comes). I have had no spoke issues and they still run perfectly true despite reasonably heavy use.

I like the subtle looks too, although I took the transfers off mine a couple of months ago to match a matt carbon frame. The thing that impressed me more than anything though is the stopping power of the rims. Coupled with Swiss-Stop green pads they were awesome in the Alps last year, enough to convince me I had no need of Mavic Elixiath rims.
  • mjbennett
    mjbennett Posts: 532
    Ive got them and they are spot on. Stiff, fast andlight. They are not cheap but are excellent.
    I would recommend.
  • So the weight limit is 109kgs?

I'm 90kgs, that should be well within the remit of the wheels. I hate when wheels flex and results in brake rub.

The been looking at the dark labels.

Where's the cheapest you guys have found?
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • carrock
    So the weight limit is 109kgs?

I'm 90kgs, that should be well within the remit of the wheels. I hate when wheels flex and results in brake rub.

The been looking at the dark labels.

Where's the cheapest you guys have found?
    All Fulcrum wheels are constructed to meet the highest standards of resistance and durability. If you weigh over 109 kg/240 lbs we advise you not to use this product. Non compliance with this warning can damage the product irreversibly. If you weigh 82 kg/180 lbs or more, you must be especially vigilant and have your bicycle inspected more frequently (than someone weighing less than 82 kg/180 lbs). Check with your mechanic to discuss whether the wheels you selected are suitable for your use, and to determine the frequency of inspections. Using tires with a larger diameter and a frame that respects the standards will help to increase the lifetime of the wheels.

http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/faq/wheels
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I have a pair, nice but expensive to repair, proprietary spokes not readily available, I prefer my had built 23mm wide wheels with 24/28 spokes. I have crashed both sets of wheels, the fulcrums where toast (which was a pain in the middle of the Pyrenees) the hand built no problem.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    However note if you are over 82 kg frequent inspection required. Remember a careful 90 kg rider may have no isses bt a another rider who is hard on their components may have issues. A 107kg rider is far more likely to have issues unless they are very careful. If you are a high mielage rider and 107 kg think of a different wheelset as you might only get a seaon or two out of the wheels, maybe you will get more but it is more of a risk.

This is were handbuilts come into there own FatTed.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.