Carrera Crossfire 2 or... ?

Dirkgently
Dirkgently Posts: 14
edited April 2013 in Commuting general
Hi all, looking for a bike to replace one that I have effectively run into the ground. It will be used mainly for getting myself to/from work (which is only a couple of miles). Most of the distance is on roads, but there is a segment where I have to cycle across a gravel car park and then an overgrown concrete area (lots of cracks, weeds,etc).
I was looking at the Carrera Crossfire 2 from Halfords at £299, but found that my 10% discount voucher has just expired so I am not really committed to buying from anywhere in particular.

Does anyone have any suggestions for bikes that fall within the same budget please? If it's relevant, I am based in the South Oxfordshire area.

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Any Decathlon stores nearby?
  • yeah - there is one about 15 minutes away - any bike in particular that you'd recommend?
  • supersonic
    Problem with MTB style hybrids at this price (ie ones with a bit of suspension like the Crossfire) is that they tend to be poorly specced, heavy and have useless suspension! I would actually go for a mountain bike, like this one:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-53 ... 06682.html

Compared to the Carrera you get a far better suspension unit, superior gearset (27 compared to bargain bin 21, which uses a poor quality hub), Hayes disc brakes, great wheels and some quality parts. Maybe stick some narrower, lighter tyres on and you have a... hybrid ;-). Though a very good one!
  • Thanks, I've checked out the Rockrider 5.3 - looks very reasonable. I see that the 5.2 is £100 cheaper with V-brakes and £70 cheaper with disc brakes. What exactly would I be losing out on by choosing one of those instead?
  • supersonic
    It's still a good bike - but the fork is a bit more clunky with no damping, and you lose out on a few gears. No disc brakes, but V brakes work well enough for the use you describe, except in the wet and mud where they can suffer a bit.

A good option if you want to save a few quid, certainly better than the Carrera.
  • http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-52 ... 07349.html
    has the disc brakes and suspension, unless it's just cheaper components I don't really see what the difference is. What have I missed for my £70? :)
  • supersonic
    Ah, must be a new version, has a front disc now! (not a rear, though the front is more important).

The £70 gets you a more competent fork (better made, sealed, more control), improved wheels (superior sealing in the hubs), the rear disc, 27 gears (though the 24 speed Shimano is very good), a butted frame (lighter, more comfortable) and better tyres.

Both are the best bikes on the market at their respective price points.
  • Thanks for all of the information. I'll try to get down to Decathlon tomorrow and see if I am able to try them out. Otherwise I should at least get a good look at them.

Thanks again
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    I have a 5.3 and after the BB failed and was replaced plus a snapped chain, it's given me great service. I have 2 sets of wheels for it, one with knobblies and one with 1.125 gatorskins on it for town use.

The cable discs aren't especially great, but few cable discs are. I put hydraulics on mine because I'm a big bloke and a lot of the time I tow a trailer with it, including down some steep hills.

The one thing I would definitely say though, ditch the stock Hutchinson Python tyres, they are utterly hopeless in any situation, useless off road and in the wet on tarmac, I actually spun the wheel taking off from the lights and I'm no powerhouse.

But I can definitely recommend the bike. They're great.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road