What sort of arsehole shithead bombs a marathon?

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    edited April 2013
    Probably the kind who are too cowardly and small-minded to target anything which might actually be relevant to their cause, however twisted it may be, but carries a greater risk of being caught, so they go for the low security option and target an event designed to bring people together and which raises money for hundreds of causes around the world.

"2250: British runner Stuart Singer tells the BBC one explosion occurred near the family 'meet and greet' area."

F*ckers!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    i bet there are quite a few of the establishment more than little concerned about Wednesday. :|
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Same sort of person who would bomb anywhere else pretty much.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Is certainly a sad situation indeed.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • daviesee
    Good question.
    It is unusual for no one to claim responsibility as they usually do if it is politically motivated.

:?:
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    daviesee wrote:
    Good question.
    It is unusual for no one to claim responsibility as they usually do if it is politically motivated.

This is quite strange, Thinking about it, normally terrorist (Islamic groups) would clamouring to claim responsibility for something like this, which is a successful attack on American soil (if it is indeed a terrorist attack)

Makes me think of Tim McVeigh...

Either way. Utter Twunts
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Sickening and really worrying.

Wednesday and our own marathon are now going to be a tense affair. I hope that who ever did this has the guts to step forward and gets the full force of America - though I hope Britain stays out of it.

I have to say that it seems like since Afghanistan the World hasn't stopped fighting wars - specifically against insurgents/terrorists.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Like Rolf F said, the sort of person who would bomb anything else. In other news, 31 Iraqis blown up yesterday. The disparity in coverage is worth thinking about. I guess a marathon in an English speaking first world country feels a lot closer to home. Hope they string up whoever was responsible for all of these things - attacking innocent civilians is always wrong, whatever the motive.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    http://www.reddit.com/r/running/comment ... on/c9ftn98

Apparently there was a 3rd bomb that failed to go off... right next to where the author of the above post was standing.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    terrible stuff, but at this moment in time it sounds more like a lone nutcase rather than a terrorist group (may be wrong).

What on earth goes through these peoples minds that they can do that?
  • So we're looking for someone with a psychopathic personality with some sort of resentment against sporting events - maybe someone who has recently be banned from competing in any ...

More seriously, I have friends there - one of whom was only a couple of blocks from the explosions. Near enough to hear and see the response. Scary.
  • daviesee
    rubertoe wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Good question.

This is quite strange, Thinking about it, normally terrorist (Islamic groups) would clamouring to claim responsibility for something like this, which is a successful attack on American soil (if it is indeed a terrorist attack)

Makes me think of Tim McVeigh...

Either way. Utter Twunts
    Exactly.
    I am thinking a home grown nutter with a grievance taken far too far.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    daviesee wrote:
    Exactly.
    I am thinking a home grown nutter with a grievance taken far too far.
    April 15th is the deadline for filing tax-returns in the US, so maybe an anti-govt. nutjob like McVeigh. Also, the marathon was in memory of the victims of the Newtown massacre, so perhaps a pro-gun nutjob.

Lots of speculation, but the surprising (and thankful) thing is how infrequently this kind of attack occurs. The worst thing would be to over-react as that's exactly what the terrorists aim for.
    BigMat wrote:
    In other news, 31 Iraqis blown up yesterday. The disparity in coverage is worth thinking about. I guess a marathon in an English speaking first world country feels a lot closer to home. Hope they string up whoever was responsible for all of these things - attacking innocent civilians is always wrong, whatever the motive.
    +1. 92 people die on the roads in the US everyday. The number of gun-related deaths is not much fewer.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No attempt to seek publicity does make it sound like another McVeigh - this is America, 200M vaguely normal people and 100M nutters.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    It's awful, I have plenty of buddies in Boston, one of whom was right there...thankfully alright. The Yanks can be very proud of their response though - heads held high.

My buddy's theory is that a number of people were saved thanks to the ultraquick reactions of some combat veterans who were right next to these folks and acted calmly and professionally as first responders in the initial minutes before the medics could get to them.

He also pointed out that it's worth remembering that we and the US do this to other folks in the ME, Afghanistan and Pakistan as well as East Africa every single day in the form of Drone attacks.....and have wiped out an awful lot of innocent folks in the process.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    News reports have rumours that the bombers may have been two brothers from Chechnya.

Doesn't make much sense to me but then, how could it?

Cheers,
    W.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,330
    Reddit had a great thread about this morning's police activity, with a guy posting minute by minute updates of what was going on from the police radio. Sadly it was a bit too popular and Reddit has been down for a while.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    News reports have rumours that the bombers may have been two brothers from Chechnya.

Doesn't make much sense to me but then, how could it?

Cheers,
    W.

Was just about to say - no they're not, one is Mike Mulgeta and the other Sunil Triphati, but that was what I read this morning at about 8.30.

Looks like news has changed since then. :|
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807