Experience with HIT according to Laursen et al?

Setarkos
Setarkos Posts: 239
Does anyone have experience with HIT (high intensity (interval) training) similar to the studies bei Laursen et al displayed here?:
interval+chart+final.jpg

and here: http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Abstract/2002/11000/Interval_training_program_optimization_in_highly.17.aspx?

I find them interesting because contrary to many other studies they were done with well trained cyclists and apparantly some australian pros train like that during the winter.
The only thing close I've done is 30/30s which I find to be great to boost your VO2max and induce a peak.

(PPO is slightly above you VO2max power)

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Doing that last one even for just 2 weeks has me grimacing already.

So you do one of these programs.. at the end you would ..
    go back to 'normal' training and allow this extra boost to detrain
    repeat routine after any gains seem to be lost
    ??
  • Setarkos
    There have also been studies on "polarized training" using some of the HIT-workouts but as many and doing low-intensity volume workouts the rest of the week showing similar results.
    For example if you race every weekend, you could do one HIT workout during the week (tuesday or wednesday) und the rest ist endurance rides - that should be easier to maintain.

I have made good experience with 2-weel 30/30 L5-Block (about 20h/week with 3 our of 4 rides hard interval sessions) - but I was on holiday in that period so focused everything on riding.
  • trickydisco
    trickydisco Posts: 173
    Can someone explain this bit
    The present study has shown that when HIT incorporates Pmax as the interval intensity and 60% of Tmax as the interval duration, already highly trained cyclists can significantly improve their 40-km time trial performance.

So the 2nd one is the 6x5x1 interval i've heard on other forums as being successful in pushing threshold power up
  • Setarkos
    Can someone explain this bit
    The present study has shown that when HIT incorporates Pmax as the interval intensity and 60% of Tmax as the interval duration, already highly trained cyclists can significantly improve their 40-km time trial performance.

These are number 3 and 4 in the table above. Pmax is the power you push at you VO2max and Tmax is the time you can maintain that power (usually 4-6min). The rest is expalined in the table.
  • Setarkos
    double post
  • trickydisco
    trickydisco Posts: 173
    No2 interval : 291 to 327 in 6 weeks seems very good!
  • Setarkos
    No2 interval : 291 to 327 in 6 weeks seems very good!

Last one has 340->366 in just 2 weeks ;)

Although I'd be careful with such massive short term improvements, they are seldom sustainable.

I think it is not that important which one of these you do but they can definitely introduce some variety and new training stresses to well trained cyclists.

Since it's not mentioned in the table: in all most of these studies the cyclists stuck to their old training regime during the study and only replaced the the required number of workouts by HIT sessions - not doing any other interval work.