Budget track pump

roundthebend
roundthebend Posts: 205
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi
My Aldi track pump has just given up on me. It did well - I think it managed 3 years which, for £5, is great value. Now that my son also has road bike and I've swapped to Presta valves on my MTB I'm quite happy to invest in a better quality pump. Ideally one that can be repaired if such a thing exists - like replacement seals etc.

So, which brands should I go for? Any specific models?

I'd say budget is about £20. Will order today if I find something suitable.

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    My halfords one works fine
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • shadow4532
    shadow4532 Posts: 133
    try a topeak joe blow best pump iv tryed yet and i think there is a few online for about £20.
    GIANT PROPEL SL1 for racing and posing
    TREK 2.5 training and commuting
    GIANT REVEL 1 LTD for when it gets all snowy
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Just buy the ALDI/LIDL one again...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Blackburn Air Tower 2 is good and can usually be found for around £20
  • goonz wrote:
    Just buy the ALDI/LIDL one again...

Not currently on sale, though I think it will be soon. I think I'll buy one as a back up.

Thanks for the other suggestions, I'll have a look around.
  • shadow4532 wrote:
    try a topeak joe blow best pump iv tryed yet and i think there is a few online for about £20.

Which variant? I've seen the Max II for £24.
  • t4tomo wrote:
    My halfords one works fine

Mine too
  • shadow4532
    shadow4532 Posts: 133
    edited April 2013
    yeah thats the one. i know its sllightly over budget but its a brilliant pump.
    EDIT: i have just checked and mine is a sport 2 not a max 2 sorry for the confusion.
    GIANT PROPEL SL1 for racing and posing
    TREK 2.5 training and commuting
    GIANT REVEL 1 LTD for when it gets all snowy
  • Finlaz22
    Finlaz22 Posts: 169
    my joe blow max II was pants, so bad in fact that I thought it was broken. Got it replaced and it was just as bad... Actually found it easier to pump up to 100+ PSI with the mini pump!!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    +1 for the Joe Blow Sport II. You do need to push the lever *away* from the valve to seal it, as the head is dual purpose catering for both presta and schreader valves.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
  • Geo555
    Geo555 Posts: 96
    A bit over what you wanted to pay, but this is a great price for this pump. It's screw on, so no bent presta valves.

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/birzman-zac ... duct/46601
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Another proud Halfords owner here, going strong after 9 months
  • Rod11
    Rod11 Posts: 293
    Highly recommend the Edinburgh Bicycle Revolution one, think it's just under £20 and does both types of valves.
  • hairy_boy
    hairy_boy Posts: 345
    I've got the Joe Blow Sport 2 pump. Its been brilliant - had it about 5 years and done my mountain bike, road bike and 3 other bikes (wife and 2 kids). its used weekly if not more and is still going strong. Gets my road bike up to 120psi very quickly.
    Thats not to say some of the the pumps recommended by other on here wouldn't work well for you, I only have experience of the Joe Blow.
  • Get the Joe Blow. Can't go wrong. 10 times better than the Aldi pump. Has replaceable parts so will last for years.
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    Decathlon do one. It's not a complex thing, and the bells and whistles just make it more expensive, not better.
  • Ordered a Joe Blow Sport II. It better be good! £30 on a pump is a castratable offence, I fear. :?
  • hairy_boy
    hairy_boy Posts: 345
    You won't regret it - good long term investment !