What arm warmers?

p1tse
p1tse Posts: 694
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
As the weather is a bit fresh still I'm considering arm warmers with short sleeve but if the sun comes out I want to have short sleeve option

So which ones are good
Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    p1tse wrote:
    As the weather is a bit fresh still I'm considering arm warmers with short sleeve but if the sun comes out I want to have short sleeve option

So which ones are good

Ones that fit, that don't slip down and have the required thermal properties for the time of year you want to wear them. Not being sarcastic, merely highlighting that whatis right for one person may well not be right for another. For what it's worth I have Assos warmers which work for me...

PP
  • p1tse
    Thanks
    I know what's right for one doesn't mean its right for someone else

But as a general guide I wanted to get an opinion due to having to do online ordering
  • p1tse
    Ibwas just looking at assos outlet they have some but sizes are 0,1,2 but can't see a size guide
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Like Pete says - it's pointless suggesting brands, because you really need to try them on. Or if you don't want to do that then most brands will do the job to a greater or lesser extent, so just pick a brand/price point online and take your chances.

I have armwarmers from Endura, Altura and Aldi - they all work, because they all fit.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I have Giordana ones and they are great. Mine are the Roubaix ones but they probaly do just lycra too if you want something for less cooler days.

I also rate Pearl Izumi and they do 3 ranges depending on budget.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    The Prendas ones are ace and excellent value. There's no need to spend more.

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ty ... 43&ID=1037

Email them in advice for sizing advice, IME it's always spot on.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Those Prendas are definitely good value.

Does anyone have any experience of the Castelli Nanoflex though?
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    smidsy wrote:
    I have Giordana ones and they are great. Mine are the Roubaix ones but they probaly do just lycra too if you want something for less cooler days.

I also rate Pearl Izumi and they do 3 ranges depending on budget.

I had a pair of Giordana ones that were indeed great - until they fell out my back pocket on a ride. Gutted :-(
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I got the Rapha ones, they have been fine for me.

Main thing is make sure they fit and dont slide down or are too tight. Thats all really.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 wrote:

Damn you OP! Just cost me £7.95 for a red pair. :D
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • goonz
    Those Prendas look quality...what size though?

I'm 5'6 but hit the gym so do not have spindly arms, will it have to be the M?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    damn you too - in red you say? that would set off my polka dot jersey very nicely indeed.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • jordan_217
    goonz wrote:
    Those Prendas look quality...what size though?

I'm 5'6 but hit the gym so do not have spindly arms, will it have to be the M?

I would email Prendas and ask, very helpful and great CS. FWIW I'm 5.10" with non-bulky, average arms and I get a medium.
  • jordan_217
    t4tomo wrote:
    damn you too - in red you say? that would set off my polka dot jersey very nicely indeed.

I know :) I didn't realise they'd been re-stocked. Club kit is red and black, result 8)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    +1 for the Prendas ones - I've got some special edition World Champs ones in black which are great. I also have a pair of Specialized ones which have performed very well.

Not used Assos arm warmers, but the knee warmers I got from their outlet store are truly rubbish - no gripper at the top (WTF?) and they just slide down and end up bunching up around my knee, pretty much unusable. :(
  • goonz
    BigMat wrote:
    +1 for the Prendas ones - I've got some special edition World Champs ones in black which are great. I also have a pair of Specialized ones which have performed very well.

Thats awesome, what year were you world champ again? :wink:
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    BigMat wrote:

Not used Assos arm warmers, but the knee warmers I got from their outlet store are truly rubbish - no gripper at the top (WTF?) and they just slide down and end up bunching up around my knee, pretty much unusable. :(

You are putting them under your shorts, right?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    goonz wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

I know that's in jest, but I don't get this anti replica kit thing my some small minded cyclists.

Since when has any mistook the 20 stone Geordie you see in every holiday resort across Europe and beyond for the actual Alan Shearer, just because his name is on the back of his shirt? :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • goonz
    t4tomo wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

I know that's in jest, but I don't get this anti replica kit thing my some small minded cyclists.

Since when has any mistook the 20 stone Geordie you see in every holiday resort across Europe and beyond for the actual Alan Shearer, just because his name is on the back of his shirt? :D

Dont worry it was totally in jest, I do not want to start one of these wars again ha! I really couldn't care less what you want to wear, just dont beat me on the bike! :P
  • bigmat
    goonz wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

:lol:

I also have a couple of Campag casquettes with World Champs stripes down the middle, a GB jersey, some trade kit (reynolds, Quick Step), some Belgian team socks. Best is the jersey in my avatar which has British Champ arm bands (a subtle nod to my nationality for continental sportive use). Some young guy on a club run asked me if I was a former champ - I assume he was taking the mick but possibly not?
  • bigmat
    pkripper wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

You're meant to wear shorts with them? :oops:
  • moscowflyer
    moscowflyer Posts: 540
    jordan_217 wrote:

This. Best armwarmers ever.
  • castelli nano flex are so good i got 3 pairs...

cant fault them, do exactly what they say on the tin. thats y i havet he leg warmers too.
  • BigMat wrote:
    pkripper wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

You're meant to wear shorts with them? :oops:
    I have a pair of Assos leg warmers - very nice, well shaped and warm but they fall down too... You would think that Assos would be producing a quality piece of equipment but no, not in this case. Why no grippers??? :|
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    You would think that Assos would be producing a quality piece of equipment but no, not in this case. Why no grippers??? :|

Because Assos are for posing in the cafe not riding :shock: :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I have the Assos arm warmers and they are great. Can be found on the Assos outlet site.

I also have the leg warmers and with no top gripper they are rubbish.