presta v schraeder valves

crispy1980
crispy1980 Posts: 310
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, basically, is there any advantage for one over the other? My wheels will only take presta but am thinking of drilling it out to take Schrader, good idea or not?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Bad. Take what ever your rims come as.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Thinner rims need a thinner valve which is why you do not see any with schraeder valves.

You can drill them out but you may compromise the strength.

But as you do not mention what you have who knows.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why bother?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • crispy1980
    crispy1980 Posts: 310
    Just had a few probs with the screw on pump removing the inner valve when removing it, thought I could eliminate this. I'll just leave it as it is I think. Cheers. Chris
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    Biggest problem with presta is that the world has accepted Schrader.

I prefer Schrader as I have an electronic pump in my car but right now after a puncture, currently sporting presta in the rear and schrader at the front and will do so till the next puncture as I paid £7 as it was an emergency!!

You can get adapters for presta to accept Schrader pumps...about £1 on ebay and come in anodized colours for extra bling.
  • cooldad
    kammybear wrote:
    Biggest problem with presta is that the world has accepted Schrader.

I prefer Schrader as I have an electronic pump in my car but right now after a puncture, currently sporting presta in the rear and schrader at the front and will do so till the next puncture as I paid £7 as it was an emergency!!

You can get adapters for presta to accept Schrader pumps...about £1 on ebay and come in anodized colours for extra bling.
    Absolute rubbish.
    Every road bike has Presta, plenty of MTBs have them, and any BICYCLE pump costing more than 99p fits both.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Stick with Presta. They're slightly easier to hand pump
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    My lbs told me that the presta has better pressure retention. Don't suppose that matters for an mtb because you are changing the pressiure far more often than a road bike. The issue is drilling into your bike or your wheel. I would never consider drilling a hole in my bike frame (eg to lose water from the BB) equally I would never drill my wheel rim. I cannot articulate the risk but I believe there is one and I won't take it.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It depends on the width, build and what material is there. One thing's for sure it'll never be stronger.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Lagrange wrote:
    The issue is drilling into your bike or your wheel. I would never consider drilling a hole in my bike frame (eg to lose water from the BB) equally I would never drill my wheel rim. I cannot articulate the risk but I believe there is one and I won't take it.
    :D

Live on the edge mate, you get a better view... :P
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • cooldad
    Easy to articulate - the rim will collapse, you will crash and die.
    No harm done.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Lagrange wrote:
    My lbs told me that the presta has better pressure retention. Don't suppose that matters for an mtb because you are changing the pressiure far more often than a road bike. . .

That's the other thing - easier to quickly let a bit of air out with presta valves. This matters if you ride on the road to where you're going to ride off-road
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Lagrange
    PaulBox wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:
    The issue is drilling into your bike or your wheel. I would never consider drilling a hole in my bike frame (eg to lose water from the BB) equally I would never drill my wheel rim. I cannot articulate the risk but I believe there is one and I won't take it.
    :D

Live on the edge mate, you get a better view... :P

Thx, now living on the edge! Brilliant view :lol:
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Lagrange wrote:
    presta has better pressure retention.

They do.
  • cooldad
    Levi_501 wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:
    presta has better pressure retention.

They do?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Just asking as my forks/shock/car hold air fairly well.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Yacoby
    Yacoby Posts: 211
    cooldad wrote:
    Heh. Your shock is nothing pressure wise. They can take several thousand psi easily.
  • cooldad
    Yacoby wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Heh. Your shock is nothing pressure wise. They can take several thousand psi easily.
    Er what is 'they'?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Yacoby
    cooldad wrote:
    Yacoby wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Er what is 'they'?
    Schrader valves

I think you can get ones up to ~3000psi. This is from a forum thread (on here I think) a while back so I may be wrong.
  • cooldad
    So you are arguing with the wrong person.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Yacoby
    cooldad wrote:
    So you are arguing with the wrong person.
    What? I didn't think I was arguing with anyone. It was meant to be more like additional info or something.

In retrospect I should have said "And shocks are nothing pressure wise" rather than adding the your. Or added smiley faces. They are always good :)
  • Lagrange
    Yacoby wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Yacoby wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Er what is 'they'?
    Schrader valves

I think you can get ones up to ~3000psi. This is from a forum thread (on here I think) a while back so I may be wrong.

By a quick calc that would be about120kgs on a schrader valve - pi*r**2*3000 convert to kilos. That would be marginal!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Schrader valve we use is one of a family of valves, no way will it do 3000psi, but others will, do a google image search.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    crispy1980 wrote:
    Hi all, basically, is there any advantage for one over the other? My wheels will only take presta but am thinking of drilling it out to take Schrader, good idea or not?

Doesn't really matter if the valve can take 3000psi or 3,000,000psi, what really matters is if they can keep 30 to 40psi. If a schrader fits you can fit one, if not you'll have to fit a presta. There is really no point in compromising your rim. If you have to fit presta and want to use a compressor, you'll also need a small adapter.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    If a schrader fits you can fit one, if not you'll have to fit a presta. There is really no point in compromising your rim. If you have to fit presta and want to use a compressor, you'll also need a small adapter.

This is the most sense I have read in this thread!

in the famous words of a little furry guy who stands on his hind legs and wears a velour smoking jacket and neck tie:

"SIMPLES"
    It's been a while...