Forum home Road cycling forum Road beginners

My new bike turns up minus tyres

pinchezpinchez Posts: 76
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
It's taken me months to decide on my first road bike and in the end I decided to buy a Canyon Roadlite AL 6.

Imagine my excitement while at work receiving a txt from my son letting me know my bike as arrived and the total deflation on opening the box to discover there's no tyres, inner tubes or quick releases for the wheels :(

Not only am I disappointed for not being able to ride it anytime soon (going to be at least another week wait for missing items sent from Germany) but I thought Canyon set up and tested their bikes and all I had to do is attach wheels, handle bars and seat and bar the pedals it's good to go. How can it be if they forget to include all the bits for the wheels?

I've emailed Canyon but will have to wait 1 to 2 days for a response, gutted :(

Posts

  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 15,959
    What are the standard tyres it comes with? This could be a good thing!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pinchezpinchez Posts: 76
    Rolf F wrote:
    What are the standard tyres it comes with? This could be a good thing!

    Continental GP4000 which are £34 each from CRC then there's the 2 inner tubes and 2 quick releases to take into consideration. Must be getting on for £100 if I were to go out and buy them myself.

    Not just the fact they're missing but it begs the question "how much setting up and testing did they do?" It can't have been easy to put two wheels carefully in a box along with the frame and not notice theres no tyres!
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 15,959
    OK, nice tyres then! As to the testing, I imagine there is a tick list.....

    Two round things? - tick.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Thats a real bummer. I'm sorry to say but you'd never buy a new bike with wheels without tires, tubes at your LBS.

    A pity for you to miss out on any of these gorgeous days!
  • pinchezpinchez Posts: 76
    I know what you mean about LBS and indeed I did try them but my head was turned by the share beauty and value of the Canyon and you can only buy Canyons from Canyon.com!

    Even not built she's a beautiful thing and I was so looking forward to taking her out this weekend :(

    Drat just remembered we're off on our hols on the 30th, could be 3 weeks or so before I can ride her.
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 15,959
    Tyres are consumables. Just buy another pair for now.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pinchezpinchez Posts: 76
    Rolf F wrote:
    Tyres are consumables. Just buy another pair for now.

    I'm seriously considering this, although I'm going to have to buy quick release skewers to. Know any decent cheap ones?
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 15,959
    I think any Shimano road skewer is likely to be your best bet. Not sure how cheaply you can get them though. Maybe now is the time to get a spare pair of wheels :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MattyyPMattyyP Posts: 142
    I'd probably go out and buy an extra bike whilst you're at it :D :P
    Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • Jon_1976Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    MattyyP wrote:
    I'd probably go out and buy an extra bike whilst you're at it :D :P

    If it was me, I'd have been down to lbs to get tyres, tubes and skewers straight away and then emailed Canyon. I'm mega impatient though :oops:
  • Camcycle1974Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    pinchez wrote:
    It's taken me months to decide on my first road bike and in the end I decided to buy a Canyon Roadlite AL 6.

    Imagine my excitement while at work receiving a txt from my son letting me know my bike as arrived and the total deflation on opening the box to discover there's no tyres, inner tubes or quick releases for the wheels :(

    Not only am I disappointed for not being able to ride it anytime soon (going to be at least another week wait for missing items sent from Germany) but I thought Canyon set up and tested their bikes and all I had to do is attach wheels, handle bars and seat and bar the pedals it's good to go. How can it be if they forget to include all the bits for the wheels?

    I've emailed Canyon but will have to wait 1 to 2 days for a response, gutted :(

    Nice bikes but they have to cut corners somewhere to keep costs to a minimum. No tyres, tubes or skewers is a bit much though! A salutary lesson in why not to buy a bike in a box from Germany?
  • The bikes are meant to come with these things. Looks like this was a one-off mistake. There might be other valid reasons for not buying a Canyon, but surely this isn't one of them.
  • BozmanBozman Posts: 2,570
    Tyres are overrated, just get on with it and as long as your wheels stay on the road you might get away without the skewers.
  • BustacappBustacapp Posts: 971
    You can have your bike up and running today if you want to. Just go and buy the bits?
  • Ha, oddly enough my new bike from Rose (just down the road from Canyon) arrived last week and they'd fitted 23mm tires instead of the 25s I requested (Mavic Yksions).
    When I emailed Rose about it, they immediately sent me out a set of Conti GP4000s with some other bits and pieces by way of an apology.
    I reckon they've been up to the Canyon factory in the middle of the night and nicked your tires :lol:
    Tell you what, I'll sell them back to you as I'm actually quite liking these Yksions now.
  • smidsysmidsy Posts: 5,273
    Bustacapp wrote:
    You can have your bike up and running today if you want to. Just go and buy the bits?

    Very easy to say when it is someone else.

    I can only imagine the slating they would be getting on here by now if the same had happened to you.

    Probably run for 18 pages too before you stopped going on about it. :lol:

    OP - see what Canyon say/offer before really ramping up your complaint. They may deal with it very well.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • BustacappBustacapp Posts: 971
    smidsy wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:
    You can have your bike up and running today if you want to. Just go and buy the bits?

    Very easy to say when it is someone else.

    I can only imagine the slating they would be getting on here by now if the same had happened to you.

    Probably run for 18 pages too before you stopped going on about it. :lol:

    OP - see what Canyon say/offer before really ramping up your complaint. They may deal with it very well.

    What are you whittering on about.

    I'd be down to Halfords or wherever and getting some tyres and inner tubes.

    A simple yet effective solution. Regardless of what I thought of Canyon.
  • WoodywmbWoodywmb Posts: 888
    Get a receipt for the missing bits and send to Canyon. It's quicker, easier and cheaper for both of you.
  • smidsysmidsy Posts: 5,273
    Bustacapp wrote:
    What are you whittering on about.

    I'd be down to Halfords or wherever and getting some tyres and inner tubes.

    But you could get better prices from Ribble,If you use their excellent mail order service you do not have to even go out. :mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • kayo74kayo74 Posts: 299
    My Canyon should be on route in the next few days so hope mine turns up with all the gear!!. Not just the box.....pmsl. Fingers plus anything else crossed.
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 18,145
    kayo74 wrote:
    My Canyon should be on route in the next few days so hope mine turns up with all the gear!!. Not just the box.....pmsl. Fingers plus anything else crossed.

    Bet you just get the tyres :D
  • pinchezpinchez Posts: 76
    Update.

    Canyon sent me an apologetic email this morning. They're going to send me a new bike ASAP and collect the current one. Also by way of an apology they're giving me a "free Sigma Computer BC 2209 MHR STS to say sorry" which is very good of them :)

    Seems like it was a one off more than poor quality control and they've been very quick to rectify it.

    Really glad I didn't order new tyres etc. last night and also I'm kind of glad they're replacing the whole bike as it (fingers crossed) will be perfect from the off. Hopefully it will be here sometime next week :)
  • Why on earth are they sending a whole new bike? what's wrong with just sending tyres, tubes, skewers and your good will gesture?
  • ♠ChumBucket♠♠ChumBucket♠ Posts: 388
    edited April 2013
    Why on earth are they sending a whole new bike? what's wrong with just sending tyres, tubes, skewers and your good will gesture?

    I would imagine because what happened proves that there was ZERO quality control here & they have probably sent the wrong box completely.
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • dabberdabber Posts: 1,577
    That's a good response by Canyon. IMO it's a sign of a good company when they handle the problems well. When things go well any company can look ok but things will go wrong, and how they are handled separates the good from the bad.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

    Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Giant Defy 3/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Calibre Bossnut
  • pinchezpinchez Posts: 76
    I agree on both counts, It's obvious the bike wasn't checked properly or it's the wrong box! either way they'll want to supply a bike that has gone through Canyons proper setup and testing procedure. What a company does after they have your money tells you far more about them than any pre-sales blurb and as long as bike number 2 turns up perfect it won't put me off using them again and singing their praises :)

    Had a bit of trouble today with UPS though. They were supposed to have collected the bike between 4 - 7pm but turned up at 3pm and carded me so I ended up taking it to the local UPS depot. While there the driver called round again and posted the package labels through the door. After a long call to UPS I think it is now sorted and Canyon should have it back Monday (fingers crossed)
  • giant_mangiant_man Posts: 6,890
    pinchez wrote:
    Update.

    Canyon sent me an apologetic email this morning. They're going to send me a new bike ASAP and collect the current one. Also by way of an apology they're giving me a "free Sigma Computer BC 2209 MHR STS to say sorry" which is very good of them :)

    Seems like it was a one off more than poor quality control and they've been very quick to rectify it.

    Really glad I didn't order new tyres etc. last night and also I'm kind of glad they're replacing the whole bike as it (fingers crossed) will be perfect from the off. Hopefully it will be here sometime next week :)
    this is exactly the kind of reaction you should expect from a reputable bike retailer. Incredible to send something out without tyres or tubes, amazing. Enjoy your replacement bike!

    UPS? Don't worry, they're just being UPS!
  • BustacappBustacapp Posts: 971
    Take note Ribble!
  • pinchezpinchez Posts: 76
    Looks like bike one landed back at Canyon and Bike 2 is on it's way. Fingers crossed it arrives before next week as I'm on holiday!
Sign In or Register to comment.