Kessock Bridge Detour!

2»

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    snorri wrote:
    Thanks for the update.
    Here is the quote from Transerv.
    'The figure I quoted of a 50% increase in numbers is based on anecdotal evidence from my site team who are monitoring these conditions. '
    As we were told no traffic records existed prior to commencement of the works, it is difficult to understand where this 50% comes from :roll:

Absolutely. So I didn't see a single other cyclist on the route yesterday in either direction. Even a 50% increase is extremely poor though. I left earlier in my car last week than I would have on my bike and took the "official" route (ie just drove down the A9) - it took me 55 minutes. That's the same time as it would have taken me by road bike. Had I driven to Tore (just under halfway) and rode in from there, it would have taken me 35 minutes. My point is that cycling is as fast if not faster so to go from just a handful of cyclists to 1.5x a handful isn't at all impressive.

No thought was given to how to actively encourage cycling like setting up Park & Cycle from Tore or N Kessock. The detour route is, frankly, ridiculous.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • snorri
    snorri Posts: 2,981
    Thanks, good to hear from a regular commuter.
    I'm just an occasional user, but often left my car at the north side of the bridge and cycled into Inverness where I find the bike handy for getting around with no parking worries.
    With the present handicap of extra time and considerable extra effort introduced by the ludicrous 'safe diversion', it is now more convenient for me to drive over the bridge(outside peak hours) and park on the Inverness side.
    So much for the appeals from Transport Scotland to reduce the number of single occupancy cars on the bridge :roll:
  • meanredspider
    I have written to the Scottish Transport Minister - not sure it will do any good.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Could be busy on Saturday -
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-21776313
    But I doubt it...
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • meanredspider
    daviesee wrote:
    But I doubt it...

PMSL - I wonder where they would leave all those bikes!!! And, all these people that don't normally cycle are suddenly going to do a round trip equivalent to my commute (35 miles and 2000ft of climbing)

As they say up here: "Aye Right...."
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    daviesee wrote:
    But I doubt it...

PMSL - I wonder where they would leave all those bikes!!! And, all these people that don't normally cycle are suddenly going to do a round trip equivalent to my commute (35 miles and 2000ft of climbing)

As they say up here: "Aye Right...."

Personally I'd sit at the end of the bridge with a video camera... make sure the microphone is working :P
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • snorri
    daviesee wrote:
    But I doubt it...
    Interesting to note Transerv omitted to warn cycling fans to leave extra time for their journey due to the diversion currently in place. :roll:

I took a spin across the bridge today, from the North Kessock interchange I cycled on the dual carriageway then hopped on the path at the north end of the bridge. With the 30mph speed limit in place,it felt a lot safer than many roads I've been on. Once over the bridge, it was safe to cross the dual carriageway immediately north of the roundabout taking into account the phasing of the new traffic lights there. Coming back north I thought perhaps I shouldn't cross the road on the north side of the bridge, although there were sufficient gaps in motor traffic to allow a safe crossing.
    The signing of the diversion is still a load of mince, any tourists trying to find their way north on NCN 1 will be somewhat confused.
    I did not see any other cyclists or pedestrians on the bridge or approaches, which is unusual, there is usually someone on the move, so much for the claimed increase in cycle traffic.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,350
    You lot don't half complain when Scotland's road is shut do you?

Bit confused about this diversion though. Have they built a second temporary road for you to use?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    pangolin wrote:

Bit confused about this diversion though. Have they built a second temporary road for you to use?

It's worth pointing out to you that in Scotland, the distance between roads and junctions is measured in 'leagues' not 'feet' as it is in London.

In some places the accents change between road signs they are so far apart.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,350
    They have junctions?! Surely that's just a sharp bend in the road?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • meanredspider
    pangolin wrote:

It's worth pointing out to you that in Scotland, the distance between roads and junctions is measured in 'leagues' not 'feet' as it is in London.

Great point - there's a sign near my house which says "Clearway for 115 miles" - I'd bet money there's not a longer distance in England. From the same sign to Perth (115 miles) there's not a single filling station on that road.

We are definitely spoiled in many ways though the kind of traffic we are getting upset about is common in many parts of the south east. There was a recent article about our parking charges going up. People up here would be mindboggled by what the charges are in Cambridge.

What does stun me though is the equipment they are using to repair the bridge. I swear I saw a man spraying some treatment onto the steelwork on the surface of the bridge with what amounted to something with the capability of an aerosol can! The bridge is 1km long FFS - no wonder it's shut for 5 months!
  • snorri
    Now we hear of the possibility of the diversion on the south side being shortened a bit, the unofficial shortcuts being approved. Also getting road signs which are directed at drivers removed from the joint user path. The diversion signs are also to be changed out for cycle specific signs, no one knows at present who they are meant to be instructing, drivers or cyclists!
    Meanwhile cyclist numbers on the bridge remain low.
  • meanredspider
    So I wrote to the minister only to get a reply from the same old Douglas Laird with whom I've exchanged numerous emails. They claimed lots of use of the southern detour route and I challenged them to prove it with data - my observations are that no-one but me is using it!

I also challenged them on the detour signage - it's really poor.

And that was my final point to the minister - the way they're treating cyclists will do absolutely nothing towards meeting the cycling journeys goal.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    And that was my final point to the minister - the way they're treating cyclists will do absolutely nothing towards meeting the cycling journeys goal.
    Sums politics up.
    -We've put a few signs up, what more do you want? Where's my next free lunch? :evil:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    pangolin wrote:

Great point - there's a sign near my house which says "Clearway for 115 miles" - I'd bet money there's not a longer distance in England. From the same sign to Perth (115 miles) there's not a single filling station on that road.

Mind you, that's nothing compared to places like British Columbia where you might go that distance between single houses! Any distance measured in double rather than triple (km) figures was somewhere you had almost arrived at!

And these days, it sometimes feels like you can drive for 115 miles around W Yorks and not find a filling station.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • meanredspider
    Rolf F wrote:
    Mind you, that's nothing compared to places like British Columbia where you might go that distance between single houses! Any distance measured in double rather than triple (km) figures was somewhere you had almost arrived at!

And these days, it sometimes feels like you can drive for 115 miles around W Yorks and not find a filling station.....

Absolutely - my brother lives in BC and I have friends I visit in Alberta. Canada is 40x times the area of the UK though with (IIRC) less than half the population so it's not really a surprise.