A Friendly Hello From a MTB Noob

TommyCantCope
TommyCantCope Posts: 3
edited April 2013 in MTB beginners
Just wanted to say hello. For the last couple of weeks been having a quick read around the forums i decided that i might as well create an account and get involved with the community.

After been nagged ALOT to get a mountain bike by friends i finally decided to buy one. On looking about and seeing what i could buy for my price range i settled for a Voodoo bantu. I must admit i have had a great time out and about on the bike with friends and go after work and days off. i have noticed how friendly other bikers are in the area with a hello and 5 minute chat about where they have been.

I have owned bikes in the past when i was a child, but now I'm nearly 22 i wanted to get outdoors and enjoy as much as i can while I'm still young. I have one question before i rap this post up.

As me and fellow friends ride further what must have items should i take to make sure im riding bike home, and not pushing? :D.

regards Thomas

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001

As me and fellow friends ride further what must have items should i take to make sure im riding bike home, and not pushing? :D.

regards Thomas

Couple of inner tubes, mini pump, pair of tyre levers, SRAM or KMC chain quick link and a multi tool. A few zip ties are also useful, I rode 10 miles home with my rear mech held on with a zip tie after I had an argument with a tree stump. Also in your pack carry a spare rainproof top, a couple of energy bars or choccie bars. If weather is crud also a spare pair of gloves and socks is a good idea.

Welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I also carry a short stretch (5 links) of chain as well as 2 quick links, if a chain breaks the chances of being able to fix with just one quick link are slim!
    You'll want a shock pump at some time to set your forks up for you, unless a friend has one.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the Advice.
  • MrM
    MrM Posts: 60
    Pack some pocket tissues. They also double up as emergency loo roll & handy for wiping mud from lights/reflectors before hitting the road home
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    Welcome to the family and remember a bike that's well looked after will last longer and give better service ;) ..
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604