Genesis Volant vs Giant Defy 1

Haughjd
Haughjd Posts: 93
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi I'm looking for a new road bike as to replace my specalized Sirus. Will keep the Sirus for more relaxed rides with the family, but now need a road machine for longer faster rides.

Budget about £1k

The Specalized Allez Elite could be a populare choice. But this model has the Tiagra GroupSet. So wonder can I do better at this price point. And I can the Gian Defy 1 looks to be a well spec'd bike and with the 105 GroupSet. Honestly I don't know how significant this is. The Defy wins its fair share of awards so on paper it's an obvious candidate for top of the short list.

But some how my heart says something british and not so obvious might be more me. Then I looked at the bikes frome genesis. Designed in the uk made far away. But still a British brand. I like the look I like the style. I like the thoughtbthatbyou won't see too many on the road vs the Giant. But the Volant 20 is the same price as the award winning Defy 1. Like with the specalized the Genesis can't match the Defy's 105 GroupSet. Instead having the Tiagra.

I guess the buying power of Giant allows them to do this.

On paper the Giant looks the best option. Beating the British designed Genesis. I like the idea of owning the Genesis. But think if I went for one would I soon be kicking myself that I didn't go for the better spec'd Giant as the same price.

Any comment.

Thanks for reading

Jon.

Comments

• YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    I think if you rode the same bike blindfolded you probably wouldn't notice the difference between Tiagra and 105.

On the one hand you say your heart says something British, but on the other hand you say you'd be kicking yourself if you didn't go for the better spec.

I've personally vote for heart over head almost every time, because "head saying you got a slightly better spec" won't make up for "heart yearning for the bike that excites you more". Over time you can replace bits of Tiagra with 105 or better so I'd say don't let this be the determining factor for the initial purchase. Have a look at wheels and other finishing kit too.

Other will be along soon to say test ride both and decide which you like the best, so I might as well say that too.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    YIMan wrote:
    I think if you rode the same bike blindfolded you probably wouldn't notice the difference between Tiagra and 105.

On the one hand you say your heart says something British, but on the other hand you say you'd be kicking yourself if you didn't go for the better spec.

I've personally vote for heart over head almost every time, because "head saying you got a slightly better spec" won't make up for "heart yearning for the bike that excites you more". Over time you can replace bits of Tiagra with 105 or better so I'd say don't let this be the determining factor for the initial purchase. Have a look at wheels and other finishing kit too.

Other will be along soon to say test ride both and decide which you like the best, so I might as well say that too.

But if you rode different bikes blindfolded then you would notice the difference :wink:

My suggestion is to try and get a test ride for both (you called it right!) - shouldn't be too hard for the Giant, not sure about the Genesis though.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Haughjd wrote:
    Hi I'm looking for a new road bike as to replace my specalized Sirus. Will keep the Sirus for more relaxed rides with the family, but now need a road machine for longer faster rides.

Budget about £1k

The Specalized Allez Elite could be a populare choice. But this model has the Tiagra GroupSet. So wonder can I do better at this price point. And I can the Gian Defy 1 looks to be a well spec'd bike and with the 105 GroupSet. Honestly I don't know how significant this is. The Defy wins its fair share of awards so on paper it's an obvious candidate for top of the short list.

But some how my heart says something british and not so obvious might be more me. Then I looked at the bikes frome genesis. Designed in the uk made far away. But still a British brand. I like the look I like the style. I like the thoughtbthatbyou won't see too many on the road vs the Giant. But the Volant 20 is the same price as the award winning Defy 1. Like with the specalized the Genesis can't match the Defy's 105 GroupSet. Instead having the Tiagra.

I guess the buying power of Giant allows them to do this.

On paper the Giant looks the best option. Beating the British designed Genesis. I like the idea of owning the Genesis. But think if I went for one would I soon be kicking myself that I didn't go for the better spec'd Giant as the same price.

Any comment.

Thanks for reading

Jon.

I don't know where you are but we have shops in Cambridge which do both Giant and Genesis and one where the Giant will cost you less than the Genesis. Pm for more details or search some of my other posts!
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Another not sure where you are but Epic in Ludlow do Genesis (but not Giant) and 3 or 4 other top brands who all do quality bikes for £1k. The Genesis looks good, have fun testing :)
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    YIMan wrote:

But if you rode different bikes blindfolded then you would notice the difference :wink:

My suggestion is to try and get a test ride for both (you called it right!) - shouldn't be too hard for the Giant, not sure about the Genesis though.

Yes, but the OP is letting the groupset differences affect his purchase thinking....I am saying the difference is negligible so this alone shouldn't be a major deciding factor.
  • Haughjd
    The reason I'm looking at the GroupSet is because most manufactures usually have the same GroupSet at a given price point. However Giant appears always to be +1 up the range Vs the competition. I guess you can do that if your the purchasing dept of the biggest bike company in the world.

So on paper the Giant looks good. Plus this is all backed up by a batch of awards in the press.

The retro Genesis Volant 20 looks a good bike, but at this price would my money be going further with a Giant.
  • Kadswan
    Kadswan Posts: 3
    Are you set on an alloy bike, or are you sticking to them due to the budget?

Ribbles are worth a look with a £1k budget...
    or if you can stretch to another £100-£200 (dealer dependant) Lapierre's Sensium models have excellent spec :
    http://www.hotlines-uk.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=83276
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Haughjd wrote:
    The reason I'm looking at the GroupSet is because most manufactures usually have the same GroupSet at a given price point. However Giant appears always to be +1 up the range Vs the competition. I guess you can do that if your the purchasing dept of the biggest bike company in the world.

So on paper the Giant looks good. Plus this is all backed up by a batch of awards in the press.

The retro Genesis Volant 20 looks a good bike, but at this price would my money be going further with a Giant.

The giant has Tektro brakes, a Tiagra Chain and Cassette, and a Non-series (but Tiagra equivalent) Chainset if that makes a difference to how you view the two bikes.
  • Haughjd
    That's an interesting a valid point.

So Gaint, upgrade some bits, and save money by having cheaper parts elsewhere. The Genesis 20 for example has Tiagra breaks. It's not all about the GroupSet. Need to consider the full list of components.

It's just that I'm trying to convince work to sign up to cycle scheme. So if they do I'll go for a £1000 voucher. Just trying to workout how best to use that.