confused confused

paulwgun
paulwgun Posts: 10
edited April 2013 in MTB beginners
Dont know if ive posted in the right section,
Im looking to buy a a new bike around £7-800
i was looking at cube nature pro 2012 as it had a lock out feature for the forks main use will be short commutes, cycle track on weekends or trail riding. Unfortunatley the 2013 version no longer has the remote lock out on the handlebar but ive noticed a cube ltd pro 29 which is i assume a mountain bike/ hard tail would this bike be suitable for long road journeys ?

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    The 29 in the name refers to the wheel size.

Basically a few years ago people started to experiment with larger wheels which roll over terrain better than smaller wheels. So generally these days you have 26 & 29 in wheel size with a few other options starting to become more popular one of these being 650.

Without wanting to start all out war (as people are pretty resolute in their defence of their chosen wheel size) think generally people agree that 29'rs roll better due to the increased size but can be more of a handful in the tight twisty single track world.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    IMHO lockout levers on the bars are pretty pointless. Just clutters things up, and it's no hardship to lean forward now and again to flick a lever on the top of the forks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paulwgun
    So of the 2 cubes mentioned which would you guys go for ?
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Both are good lets get that out of the way.

As for 26 Vrs 29 well thats down to you as the rider, your style and where you ride. I've been fortunate to ride & race both (not that specific bike but wheel size) and they act differently.

Would suggest that you get on both & try them out to see which you like/prefer in terms of handling, cornering, acceleration, braking, climbing & descending.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • cooldad
    One is a hybrid and one is a mountain bike.
    For short commutes I'd get a mountain bike as it's more fun on weekends. Hybrids are a bit rubbish in my opinion.
    For long road journeys I'd get a road bike.
    But your post is contradictory. Is it short commutes or long road journeys?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • paulwgun
    In the main it will be short commutes, but say i wanted to enter a charity bike ride of say 50+miles would i struggle on a mountain bike as opposed to a hybrid ?
  • cooldad
    Depends how fast you want to do it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Woodmonkey
    Woodmonkey Posts: 412
    Get a pair of slick tyres and pump them up nice and hard for the occasional long road ride
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    MTB style hybrids are a pointless creation. They are too compromised as MTBs to be of any use off road, but the excess weight 'ruggedising' them ruins them for Tarmac. If you actually want to use the bike on anything more challenging than a canal tow path them get an MTB.

Having said that, if you put lots of road miles in then an MTB can get old really quickly, even with slicks - so get a road bike.

If you do actually have a 'short commute' and want to ride trails them the MTB is definitely the way to go. If you also want to ride Lands End to John O'Groats on it then you are frankly asking a bit much. Yes you can do it in the same way I can enter a 1.4 Clio in a track race day - it will finish but it will be slow, hard work and most will ask why I did it.

Buy the MTB for fun / short commute and borrow/hire a road bike for marathon road efforts...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A road orientated Hybrid can be nearly as fast, and more comfortable, than a road bike, however the ones you are looking at are too MTB like to be that.

I use a road orientated hybrid for commuting as I prefer the extra control from flat bars, but it's on skinny wheels and the bars are well below saddle height, I also use the centre of the bars for a lower tighter stance at speed.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.