Tour of the Borders - Peebles 14th Apr

Gazzetta67
Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
Looks like a well run event, 1000 riders on quiet scottish border roads. lets hope the rain stays away, will even put up with a frosty/cold morning. anyone else riding it ?

Comments

• yes, looking forward to it. It had better be a quality t-shirt your get for £35 but agree it seems very well organised and the communications have been good. They are encouraging people to register the day before but don't see that happening for most people as i guess a lot of people will be travelling. 70 miles is about right for this time of the season for me and it's very nice down that way.
  • Weather is not looking all that good for Sunday! :(

I see it is on closed roads for 2014 - should make the event even better next year.
  • issacforce
    issacforce Posts: 112
    And the price
  • Gazzetta67
    DrewDuncan wrote:
    Weather is not looking all that good for Sunday! :(

I see it is on closed roads for 2014 - should make the event even better next year.

Well i have seen THREE different forecasts for sunday, all different. remember its a forecast the best time to watch is the day before to see what goes in or out your kit bag.

PS. There you go, the BBC weather just been on again. 6.30news/weather said 14 degrees and sunny. ...3 hours later its now 12 degrees on sunday with showers....which begs the question why give a forecast 5 days away when its different every 5 mins.
  • Gazzetta67
    Well its to rain tomo :evil: - Sunny and 13 degrees today effin typical - you cant organise anything in scotland without the weather spoiling it. anyway good luck to all tomo,least we will all be in the same boat in the rain so if you think your suffering there's 999 other's :D .
  • Gazzetta67
    ***k me that was hell today. Never suffered so much in those conditions,galeforce winds, cycling at a 90 degree angle, rivers yes cycling through rivers. felt for the folk who had punctures. I hope the girl who got blown off her bike right in front of our group is ok,never seen that happen before. As one rider said it was almost "biblical" conditions and it doesnt help now seeing that the temp reached 22 degrees in east anglia today...8 degrees was the high today. respect to the other riders and the organisers.
  • htsw5
    htsw5 Posts: 72
    That was my first Sportive, and hopefully I won't see worse weather than that.

I punctured before we left Peebles, which meant I wasn't in a group on the first climb, with it's insane headwind and driving rain.

By the end of the first climb I was in group, but then punctured again on the descent. Fortunately, someone had already stopped just ahead, so I could 'borrow' his spare tube (thank you rider 688!)

Got turned back from the long route because of flooding, but still had to go through floods over my feet on the short route and just before the finish.

I got back just a someone was being carted off in an ambulance for hypothermia.

All in all, a fun day out.

The drive home was glorious as the sun came out...
  • Gazzetta67
    htsw5 wrote:
    That was my first Sportive, and hopefully I won't see worse weather than that.

I punctured before we left Peebles, which meant I wasn't in a group on the first climb, with it's insane headwind and driving rain.

By the end of the first climb I was in group, but then punctured again on the descent. Fortunately, someone had already stopped just ahead, so I could 'borrow' his spare tube (thank you rider 688!)

Got turned back from the long route because of flooding, but still had to go through floods over my feet on the short route and just before the finish.

I got back just a someone was being carted off in an ambulance for hypothermia.

All in all, a fun day out.

The drive home was glorious as the sun came out...

That's cycling in Scotland for you. 13 degrees & Sunny yesterday - next day hypothermia ! you couldnt make it up.
    It was not enjoyable that today, more a case of survival.
  • It was brutal....the first 25miles are possibly the worst conditions ive rode in.

Was out early at 8am so still managed the long course.
  • htsw5
    htsw5 Posts: 72
    If you like PacMan, you might like this

http://veloviewer.com/VeloFlow.php?segmentId=1508129&date=2013-04-14

A view of all the Strava rides today.

You can clearly see the riders debating whether to go through the flood or not and some turning back on the first climb.
  • Worst cycling experience of my life. I was mentally drained at the end rather than physically tired. Have never had to concentrate so hard on a bike, spent the first 2 1/2 hours tensed up expecting to have to take evasive action at any moment. Blown to a standstill twice by the headwind up the first 2 hills. As I headed out I passed lots of riders who were turning back and most of them looked scared.

Well organised event and big up to the home bakers of Ettrickbridge though I fear a lot of that baking will have gone to waste.
  • Gazzetta67
    Worst cycling experience of my life. I was mentally drained at the end rather than physically tired. Have never had to concentrate so hard on a bike, spent the first 2 1/2 hours tensed up expecting to have to take evasive action at any moment. Blown to a standstill twice by the headwind up the first 2 hills. As I headed out I passed lots of riders who were turning back and most of them looked scared.

Well organised event and big up to the home bakers of Ettrickbridge though I fear a lot of that baking will have gone to waste.

I dont blame riders for turning back, it crossed my mind at rick's cafe but thought i would be a wuss chickening out :D . riding a bike at a 120 degrees angle going uphill was a sight to see and seeing people being blown off their bikes.I think a lot of us will think if we can ride through this we can ride anything. such a shame cos that would be a lovely course to ride on a sunny day. a slight concern was that there was not a lot of support vehicles about. they could have helped a lot of riders who punctured cos i can only imagine having freezing cold hands trying to fit an inner tube with no shelter in those conditions. I am going to suggest that to them in the feedback section. great food stops, hot soup and tea was a life saver.