due to rights restrictions...

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,425
edited April 2013 in The cake stop
I rely on BR for all my world news :shock:

Occasionally I listen to radio 4 to check that you lot are not kidding me :D

When the olympics were on I was not allowed to see or hear any news due to rights restriction, this was enforced by large corporations concerned about their loss of income by me hearing a single result.

This morning the radio was silenced again and replaced with the repeated message..."due to rights restrictions this part of the programme is unavailable"

So I was wondering which large corporation is controlling your news today?
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,579
    is this for on-line access?

to avoid such nonsense blocking access to the iplayer and websites of the Empire, and to let me use skype from within the domains of Certain Potentates, i use a vpn service that makes it look like i'm connecting from the uk and encrypts all my traffic to avoid filtering by the tentacles of said Potentates

http://www.gts-vpn.com/

but unless you're using it for business, or have the spare dosh, it may be more than you want to pay

i think there are some free equivalents, but service/bandwidth may not be so good
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • insella
    insella Posts: 37
    i had the same frustration until i found an equivalent to sungod's solution.

it is free, though slightly annoying with ads and speed, but not too bad. pay to upgrade if you want.

it is anchorfree expat shield. direct link to iplayer. works well but only with internet explorer initially. with another like google chrome just switch it on after connection.

better private eye than bbc, if real tawdry uk news is what you want
  • Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • team47b
    I looked into vpn before but as I don't watch TV it is not really worth it.

I was just being a bit sarcastic by pointing out that an oppressive dictatorship always restrict the broadcasting media, I wasn't really that interested about what the BBC are or to be more accurate aren't now allowed to broadcast to us in the free world :D

Feel free to make some sh1t up, I'll never know and it will probably be far more interesting than the reality anyway :D
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    You can see how one sided the media are when they don't play the song "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead". But will play "We love Maggie Thatcher".

someone once said "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story".
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    ben@31 wrote:
    You can see how one sided the media are when they don't play the song "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead". But will play "We love Maggie Thatcher".
    Because there clearly is no difference at all between a song that celebrates the death of an elderly lady and refers to her as a witch, and a song that announces love for her!!! The argument was about whether a disrespectful and offensive song should be played, not whether or not the BBC should pretend to be neutral over a former PM's death. It's surprising how many people fail to grasp such a simple and obvious fact.

team47 - what time were you listening? It may have been Sports Desk and / or general reporting on [and playing clips of] the golf tourno that the yanks held over the weekend.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    CiB wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:
    Because there clearly is no difference at all between a song that celebrates the death of an elderly lady and refers to her as a witch, and a song that announces love for her!!! The argument was about whether a disrespectful and offensive song should be played, not whether or not the BBC should pretend to be neutral over a former PM's death. It's surprising how many people fail to grasp such a simple and obvious fact.

team47 - what time were you listening? It may have been Sports Desk and / or general reporting on [and playing clips of] the golf tourno that the yanks held over the weekend.

One song fulfilled a narrative role in a musical - the other was an anti thatcher choon from the 80's - you'd know this if you were into the music rather than uncritically into tabloid rhetoric - but hey trying to teach people to think outside of their bigotry is, to quote a another sensibles song like "banging my head against a brick wall'. Enjoy this week - should be an instant classic :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    One song fulfilled a narrative role in a musical - the other was an anti thatcher choon from the 80's
    My mistake. What with all the shouting & table-thumping going on last week I thought the ding dong the witch is dead song was being used as a cheap pop at the fatch, and now I discover that it's just a narrative from an old musical, nothing more. Thanks for putting me right on that one Cleat.

The other is an anti-thatcher song eh? News to me; I avoid media frenzies where poss, but this strayed onto my radar. Fancy that - The Conservatives have spent the last few days pushing the wrong song. I would if anyone told them?
  • team47b
    CiB wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:

It was about 7.40 someone had just finished the bit about someone who had birdied a par boiled summit or other and I did just catch the word "witch" before the BBC decided that johnny foreigner was not allowed to hear, without paying, what they had to say, unless it was first cleared by EMI and anyone else with a vested interest in controlling the news :D
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Yes the tories did get it wrong - surprise, surprise - the 'I Love .....' song is a satirical skit.

But I also believe that the Oz tune should be broadcast perhaps blanking out the 'offensive?' words. BBC got that one wrong.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I don't give a flying fish about the Ding dong song.

Fact is it's a song from a film that,s 70year old and it's the connotation individuals apply to it. I don't believe it's about MT (why would it be) And I certainly wouldn't purchase it even if it was, as IMO it's crap.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.