Pothole Claims

RustyNick
RustyNick Posts: 9
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
Afternoon ladies and gents,

I've joined the forum to let you know about my claim against my local council after having hit a pothole and having my bike effectively written off. I work 13 miles from my home, and on my long and very wet cycle home, I was a mile in sight of my house, and hit a 4 inch deep pothole that was covered by water (again not good with drains either) that threw me into the middle of the road, on a blind bend. I was very lucky there wasn't a car coming around that bend. After getting up and onto the pavement quickly I could easily tell my bike was knackered.

I ended up going to see my chiropractor as I had just gotten over a slipped L5 disc, which cost £38 and got me off the bike obviously.

So I submitted on the pothole site attached to CTC and then curiously went on my local councils website (Stockport MBC) and saw that I could in fact make a claim, so I presented everything to them within the requirements of their form with a covering letter. This covering letter basically re-iterated everything on the form but in a manner which clearly indicated that the liability was theirs (I work for a large norwich based, paul whitehouse advertised, insurance company) using existing caselaw to back up my evidence.

Anyway they confirmed receipt and passed it on to Gallagher Bassett Solicitors who were given 3 months to review all evidence and confirm liability. When this happened I assumed I would get what is the apparent standard response which is a section 58 refusal, where small claims court is the only option. However earlier this week I got a letter from them confirming their acceptance of liability.

IF YOU HAVE A POTHOLE ACCIDENT REMEMBER THE FOLLOWING.

Get a witness, if no motorists stop, and your in front of someone's house you need to speak with them and hope that they can confirm that the pothole has been there for a period of time longer than a month.

Measure the pothole, most councils/road authorities have a pre-defined depth that recognize the broken road as a pothole (bit like that Hugh Grant film about the hill that became a mountain in wales) and take photographs (try and get someone else hold a tape measure to prove depth etc)

Be clear in your wording and don't get angry because it only serves one purpose and that's annoying you!

If you have personal injury, go to a solicitor, they will talk you thru the process, however they generally will not accept your case unless they know the potential winnings are above £1000.

If you were just bloody sore like me, but it didn't stop you working and go to a medical profession, but it didn't stop you working, keep receipts and submit them as they are reasonable costs to claim for. Don't be greedy, you'll only increase your council tax!!!

Importantly go to you local bike shop and ask them to write an estimate for repairs, or if you have the cash for repairs keep a copy of the receipt to go along with your claim.

If anyone would like a copy of my covering letter please let me know and I will send you a copy.

Nick

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Hi Nick, thanks for making the effort to share your experience with us. Some really useful advice there. Please don't think the lack of response is because it's not appreciated, it is. Your post is pretty comprehensive so not much anyone can add to it really. The other reason is because you've probably confused everyone by making a post that not irreverent, irrelevant or puerile, so nobody is quite sure how to respond :wink:

And welcome to the forum!
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Yes, I thought that. Useful post, then it slid of the page.
    Welcome to the happy house! :D
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,355
    Well said Kelsen, and thanks Nick. Should it be stickied, or added to "what to do in the event of an accident"?
  • Thanks for the welcome guys.

I'm going to copy and paste the whole letter into this thread so people can freely use it!
  • corriebee1
    corriebee1 Posts: 390
    Thanks Nick. I can see from my commute up the A10 that i may well need to take advantage of your experience at some point in the future!
  • mossychops
    mossychops Posts: 262
    I hit a pothole last summer - where a cycle lane crosses a road/dropped kerb, there was a 4" hole - hit it hard enough to give me a concussed feeling and crease my rear rim. I took all the photos etc and sent the details to Solihull council who sent this to an insurance company who is paid to reject claims. They rejected it saying that the road had been inspected within 3 months. I asked for proof and they sent me a document that had a blokes name and said he had walked down this road within 3 months.

My argument now is that I am pretty sure that a hole that big cannot happen within 3 months over the summer period. Does anyone know where I can get an expert opinion as to whether or not this is possible and also is it worth sumbitting a small claims court case anyway?

Will post a pic in a minute.

Thanks
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    That's an excellent response for Stockport Council, I usually always get their fob you off department. Where was this pothole then?
  • An interesting discussion. What is it you want from your Local Authority Highway Department though? You could have a team that inspects all surfaces closely, and regularly, putting right any defect that it finds - but that would be expensive. You could have a team that is less fastidious but willing to pay out on any claim - again potentially expensive and open to abuse.

It seems to be that the most effective approach would be to have a team that inspected every few months and put right any dangerous defects, together with a system for people like us to report any defect.

If a Local Authority has failed to inspect at a reasonable frequency, or has failed to respond to a known hazard then they should rightly be held liable. However we need to take some responsibility too. Those that commute regularly will have in intimate knowledge of the road surface along their route, where the sunken drains and slippery manhole covers are, and those that ride past an increasing dangerous road defect and don't report it, have maybe more responsible for damage that the blissfully unaware Local Authority?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    An interesting discussion. What is it you want from your Local Authority Highway Department though? You could have a team that inspects all surfaces closely, and regularly, putting right any defect that it finds - but that would be expensive. You could have a team that is less fastidious but willing to pay out on any claim - again potentially expensive and open to abuse.

It seems to be that the most effective approach would be to have a team that inspected every few months and put right any dangerous defects, together with a system for people like us to report any defect.

If a Local Authority has failed to inspect at a reasonable frequency, or has failed to respond to a known hazard then they should rightly be held liable. However we need to take some responsibility too. Those that commute regularly will have in intimate knowledge of the road surface along their route, where the sunken drains and slippery manhole covers are, and those that ride past an increasing dangerous road defect and don't report it, have maybe more responsible for damage that the blissfully unaware Local Authority?

All very good points & quite valid too.

I understand that it can be frustrating to be injured or damage a bike by coming off no matter what the cause. However I do think that we are becoming more complacent as a nation and believing that as we were involved in an accident that someone must be to blame. Yes we can follow the American route and take people to court but have to understand that in doing so we are bearing the cost as the councils/insurers pay out and cost is spread back through to the rest of the public
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Dear Stockport MBC Corporate & Support Services Insurance Department

Please find enclosed a copy of my claim form, and supporting evidence to back up my claim.

It is my understanding that any claim for damage with the proximate cause being the pothole is the liability of the highways authority, which in this case is Stockport MBC. I further understand that Stockport MBC would have a duty to maintain and repair roads and paths which count as “highways maintainable at the public expense” and that duty of maintenance and repair means that in such good repair as renders it reasonably passable for the ordinary traffic of the neighbourhood without danger caused by its physical condition (Burnside v Emerson [1968])

Going by the above I maintain you have breached that duty by failing to attend to the pothole I have had my unfortunate incident with. I am aware that recent cases which have gone to court describe a danger caused by a pothole as a pothole that exceeds 30 cm width and a depth of 4 cm – this is confirmed in another case Wilkinson v City of York Council [2011] – which describes the danger as reasonably foreseeable that a cyclist, coming into contact with it, would lose control of his bicycle, fall off and be injured”. In this case the pothole is wider than the 30cm required and far exceeds the depth of 4 cm.

Now that we has established that the danger was there, I understand that your usual defence is if you can show that you “had taken such care as in all the circumstances was reasonably required” to make sure that “the part of the highway to which the action relates was not dangerous for traffic”. (HA 1980 s.58(1)) However in this case and the lack of driver stopping to help me I have had to rely on speaking with the residents of the houses that the pothole is in front of. In speaking with the (enter your witness name and address here) she confirmed to me that over a period time before my accident (and after my accident) she had made the council aware of 2 potholes on the road on a number of separate occasions, and whilst they were filled in, the issue was compounded by the lack of maintenance to the blocked drains rendering the filling in with tarmac useless, as the water ingress had damaged the fill and was then ‘pulled out’ by passing traffic. I view this as you having not fully addressed the issue and take said care, this is my reason for holding you liable for the damage sustained to my bike.

(On a side note, I notice it has been filled again once since my accident and the fill has yet again come out. And whilst speaking with the (WITNESS AGAIN), I counted the sound of numerous vehicles hitting the pothole)

Please address these issues not only for me and other cyclists but for all road users, as I fear this will cause something much worse in the future.

As I put in my initial email to make you aware of the claim, I am a fair and reasonable person, and having worked in the insurance industry for 10 years I have developed a dislike for people looking to defraud companies, people etc so this is why I am approaching yourselves for settlement rather than using a solicitor or via my insurance company. As my claim is only for the value of my bike and a extra chiropractor session, I see this as extremely fair, so I am asking you to please not repudiate my claim and not force me use a solicitor to pursue you for these costs which will end up costing both of us more money.

Yours truly,

Nick Roper
  • That's an excellent response for Stockport Council, I usually always get their fob you off department. Where was this pothole then?

It was the bends on Offerton Road/Torkington Rd just after it splits and Torkington goes off around the crazy bends and to Marple. My pothole was around a grate and covered by water.
  • mossychops wrote:
    I hit a pothole last summer - where a cycle lane crosses a road/dropped kerb, there was a 4" hole - hit it hard enough to give me a concussed feeling and crease my rear rim. I took all the photos etc and sent the details to Solihull council who sent this to an insurance company who is paid to reject claims. They rejected it saying that the road had been inspected within 3 months. I asked for proof and they sent me a document that had a blokes name and said he had walked down this road within 3 months.

My argument now is that I am pretty sure that a hole that big cannot happen within 3 months over the summer period. Does anyone know where I can get an expert opinion as to whether or not this is possible and also is it worth sumbitting a small claims court case anyway?

Will post a pic in a minute.

Thanks

Go to the small claims office. Was it 4 inches in depth or width??? If you have the images after the accident, you could use the metadata stored on the photo's to prove date also.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Wow, I am surprised they paid up. Stockport Council openly admitted last year they weren't filling holes, other than the ones you couldn't climb out of (not quite, but the roads have some huge holes at the moment). Busy road that, and I ride it regular on training routes.