Ridgeback Destiny girls bike - anyone got a view?

themightyw
themightyw Posts: 409
Hi folks

My now 6 year old's ("THAT'S SIX AND A HALF ACTUALLY, DAD") current bike is an islabike, but she's outgrown it and my initial reaction was to go for another islabike, since the residual value is so good and we've really seen the benefits of a decent 'first' bike in her confidence and ability to cover distances. We recently got the kind donation of a heavy halfords lump of steel that my 3yo is using, and the poor thing can barely even lift the thing.

Islabikes Beinn 24 is a big step up price wise though, at £350. Took a trip to the LBS and the Ridgeback Destiny was suggested.

Anyone got one of these? Or any other suggestions for a decent bike for a 6 year old girl?

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Some kids really struggle with twist-grip gear shifts.

Also, depending upon where she's likely to ride, the front suspension will just add weight and suck power. Non AHEAD stem too, so that can be a positive or a negative depending upon your point of view. (Generally can be raised/lowered easily, however stuck with that length/angle).

Looks OK though. (Still, you already know how good Islabikes are... so it's just weighing up price v quality/design).
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Thanks for the feedback!
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    baudman wrote:
    Looks OK though. (Still, you already know how good Islabikes are... so it's just weighing up price v quality/design).
    Ridgeback's kids bikes are OK (and better than they used to be), but not great. Pointless triple chainset and suspension fork. Over 3 kilos difference in weight(!), which would you choose for yourself? And you will get a much better price for the Beinn on resale. You get what you pay for.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • My little girl (6 years old) has this bike.

She rode 6 miles the other day with me on it. She does struggle to use both grip shifts she usually uses one or the other. I dont think she understand her gearing yet.

The down side is that its very heavy indeed but my budget would not stretch any further, I looked at Specialized but just could not justify the price tag for a 6 year old.

If only she would still fit in the trailer like she used too now I have another 2 year old init :)
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    My little girl (6 years old) has this bike.

She rode 6 miles the other day with me on it. She does struggle to use both grip shifts she usually uses one or the other. I dont think she understand her gearing yet.

In our experience, youngsters don't usually begin to use gears instinctively until between 8 and 10, unless they do a lot of offroad riding. Even then, they may use them ok offroad, but revert to using the top, i.e. fast gear as soon as they get onto tarmac, regardless of the gradient (assuming it's not too steep for it, that is).
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • Shaun67
    Shaun67 Posts: 219
    We have two children a girl 6 and a boy of 8, both have been riding from 3 years old. Both started off on Specialized Hotrock 12"s, paid around £100 for them and sold them both on once out grown for £70 each on ebay. Next came Hotrock came Hotrock 16"s at arouund £150, again once out grown we sold them on for just over £100 each. Our little girl now rides a 21012 Hotrock 20" with grip shift which she has no problems with at all,even though she is only very slight. We puchased the bike from JE James in Rotherham in early September at it cost £250, later that week I found it for £200 so I phoned them and thet refunded the difference. Our son rides a Giant XTC Jnr 24" purchased in the late summer and managed to get a good discount on it. I allways look a buying the kids last years models, generally the only difference is frame colour and big discounts can be found. I too have looked a Islabikes but find them over priced. With children growing so fast and out growing the bikes quickly I find it very easy to sell the bikes on for a good price and it makes a good quality bike cheap.
  • Hi I have a ridgeback destiny for sale it is the 2008 version but very similar to the one your looking at white in colour, shimano shift 21 speed gears etc. My daughter learnt how to use years on this bike with ease aged 8 but she is very small. If you are still looking for one please contact me and we can negotiate. Please contact on emilyjstewart2000@gmail.com