For anyone interested in a Canyon Ultimate CF

Gabbo
Gabbo Posts: 864
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
Do it! Go and buy yourself one, and if you can afford it, get Campagnolo. The group set is beautiful. Looks so nice in the flesh, and the white frame is fantastic. Also comes with Mavic Ksyrium elite wheels. For £2200 you'll be hard pushed to find better bang for buck. What's even better is that I'm yet to ride it, so the best is yet to come.

Campagnolo Chorus 11 speed groupset is what convinced me not to go for the SLX. I don't regret it, and at 6.95kg, the bike feels very light!

The ultegra one is a little cheaper but if you can afford it - campag everyday!

Comments

• Get out there and ride!
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • look565wong
    look565wong Posts: 301
    Gabbo,

Would love to see some pictures of your new ride. Please share it with us! 8)

Cheers

C
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo,

Would love to see some pictures of your new ride. Please share it with us! 8)

Cheers

C

Hey! Will do on Sunday. Its raining tomorrow and still got no pedals. I haven't got a decent camera but I'll try my best :-D
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Gabbo wrote:
    Do it! Go and buy yourself one, and if you can afford it, get Campagnolo. The group set is beautiful. Looks so nice in the flesh, and the white frame is fantastic. Also comes with Mavic Ksyrium elite wheels. For £2200 you'll be hard pushed to find better bang for buck. What's even better is that I'm yet to ride it, so the best is yet to come.

Campagnolo Chorus 11 speed groupset is what convinced me not to go for the SLX. I don't regret it, and at 6.95kg, the bike feels very light!

You're recommending it - even though you haven't ridden it yet? That's dedication...
  • Gabbo
    Imposter wrote:
    Gabbo wrote:

You're recommending it - even though you haven't ridden it yet? That's dedication...

I have no doubt it'll ride like a dream. You just need to see the quality of it for yourself. The best is yet to come, and that's a certainty!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Gabbo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Gabbo wrote:

I have no doubt it'll ride like a dream. You just need to see the quality of it for yourself. The best is yet to come, and that's a certainty!
    but you don't actually know that ...
  • look565wong
    look565wong Posts: 301
    Gabbo,

A clubmate of mine bought one a couple of weeks ago, the Athena version. He is a 17 year old poor student after all. He loves it & the bike compliment his ability on the climb really well (being young & thin - lethal combination) I had real problem staying with him on climbs before but it's even harder now! :-(

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be a cracking ride!

Photos & report please as soon as you can manage.

Cheers

C
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be a cracking ride!

Indeed, my mate cracked 2 of these frames.
  • Gabbo
    Be sure I'll have this updated by Sunday. If it rides like shoot, be sure i'll mention that too. I'll give an unbiased review, like I did with my old bike. I'm sure it'll be great though. If it does ride like crap, then I'm sure its more the rider(me) than the bike itself.

As for the guy who cracked two of these frames - how did he manage that exactly?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Gabbo wrote:
    Be sure I'll have this updated by Sunday. If it rides like shoot, be sure i'll mention that too. I'll give an unbiased review, like I did with my old bike. I'm sure it'll be great though. If it does ride like crap, then I'm sure its more the rider(me) than the bike itself.

As for the guy who cracked two of these frames - how did he manage that exactly?

to be fair, your propensity to provide unbiased review is currently pretty low, given what you already written about it... ;)
  • Gabbo
    Imposter wrote:
    Gabbo wrote:

to be fair, your propensity to provide unbiased review is currently pretty low, given what you already written about it... ;)

What, that I said its a beautiful bike? It is, and most know that the quality is there. I'm confident it'll ride as good as it looks, but if it does not, I'll have no shame in admitting that as one always loves a rant :-D
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Just normal riding conditions. Cracked at chainstay/seat tube and seatstay/seat tube junctions.

Apart from that I believe he liked it and in the end I think got given a new ultimate cf after the second frame failed.
  • Dear Canyon riders

Sorry to annoy you with another question about Canyon, I am about to pull the
    trigger on a ultimate cf frame which is size 54cm

My stats
    inseam 82
    height 177
    saddle nose to bars 53
    saddle height 74

I am currently riding a 56 ttube with seat tube at 53 and stack at 56, I have the seat pushed forward 1cm
    from a inline seatpost saddle position and a 100mm stem which is comfy but looks bit time trialish (with saddle pushed frward), if the canyon top tube is 54.2 what size STEM would I need to balance out my geometry considering the canyon also comes with set back seatpost??
    Im thinking 110????
    thanks very much for being bored!!!!!
    J