Which Packable Jacket

martyh
martyh Posts: 32
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi there

Can anyone recommend a packable thin, windproof, showerproff jacket that comes in a bag.

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Aldi or Lidl for about £15 are pretty much identical in looks and performance to others costing £30-£50.
    Have to wait for their bike days though, and get there early because they go fast.
  • martyh
    Key requirement is being very small when packed, for use in sportives and audax's
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Not in a bag, but the Gore paclite stuff folds up small.
    exercise.png
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I've got the Endura FS260-Pro Adrenaline Race Cape, which I really like. It has taped seams and the material is quite soft so doesn't rustle much. Seems to be quite breathable and waterproofing is decent. Keeps wind chill off well too so is handy for cold starts or if you've gone out a bit under dressed. Comes in a nice little bag. Definitely a cut above the Aldi equivalent, which I also have. Watch out for cheaper stuff that doesn't have taped seams and zips
  • Mad_Malx
    martyh wrote:
    Key requirement is being very small when packed, for use in sportives and audax's

Not that I want to keep banging on about Aldi, but the ones I have are exactly this. Just about identical to a Montane Featherlight that I had previously, except the price.
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    Montane Velo. They're on special at CRC at the moment

Folds up pinto a fist sized pack
    Doesn't do boil in the bag - the pertex material is pretty breathable and it comes with a few vents
  • Not that I want to keep banging on about Aldi, but the ones I have are exactly this. Just about identical to a Montane Featherlight that I had previously, except the price.

Wow, really? The material is comparable to the Montane gear for lightness and breathability?
    I'm going to get one next time they're up then, if I can.

Been looking at getting a Montane Dyno or similar, mainly for hillwalking.
  • Don't know your budget - Mrs U got me one of these last year http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-hot-pack-4-jacket/ - It's awesome and folds to about the size of 24 carbon atoms.
  • ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    Pakajak works well for me and has a bag http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... rod_id=454
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    have you thought about a Castelli Gabba? then no need for the jacket.
    http://road.cc/content/news/78651-milan ... rsey-video
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    +1 for the Aldi.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I have a Gabba. It's amazeballs.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • martyh
    Didnt know about the gabba concept, very interesting but would definitely need to empty the piggy bank.
    Do you guys with gabbas wear a cape/jacket as well our is it used as a single layer.
    So many options, thanks for the replies.
  • Grill
    I wear a mesh base and that's it. I also pair I with the nano arm warmers, but no need for a cape.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    So in theory the Gabba, paired with armwarmers if necessary, could be a 3 season waterproof top? Interesting. How is it in hotter weather? Boil in the bag, or OK?
  • Mad_Malx
    Not that I want to keep banging on about Aldi, but the ones I have are exactly this. Just about identical to a Montane Featherlight that I had previously, except the price.

Wow, really? The material is comparable to the Montane gear for lightness and breathability?
    I'm going to get one next time they're up then, if I can.

Been looking at getting a Montane Dyno or similar, mainly for hillwalking.

Well - neither the Montane nor the Aldi is really very breathable, but they both have good rear vents.

Best of all, Aldi ones are coming soon:
    http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/25791.htm
    I think they will be around £15
    I'm not on commission and have found lots of the Aldi stuff shaped for very strange looking people. These fit me well though.
  • Cheers MadM. Might take a look.
    I've an Aldi £10 cycling jacket from about 7 years back but it's not like these lightweight ones. Real boil in the bag. Not a lot of use really. These look very different however. Thanks.
  • Grill
    robbo2011 wrote:
    So in theory the Gabba, paired with armwarmers if necessary, could be a 3 season waterproof top? Interesting. How is it in hotter weather? Boil in the bag, or OK?

Not quite light enough for summer, but I wore it in 16-17 degree heat and it was fine.