Tony Oliver bicycles

GaryGkn
GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
edited September 2013 in Road general
Does anyone know anything about Tony Oliver bicycles I have found out that he does not build anymore and became a photographer. Also he has written a book on touring bicycles. I was tipped off that he built 650B bikes a while a go. Any info greatly appreciated. Thank Gary

Comments

• Aidy40
    Aidy40 Posts: 178
    Gary, my brother has a Tony Oliver touring tandem - have sent him the link.
    Aidan Searle
  • The book on touring cycles is actually all about frame building and specifically the needs of a touring frame. If you want a copy it's available on Amazon.
  • Hi,

I had Tony build me an expedition tandem for a trip across Iceland about 10 years ago (and written up in C+) - you can read about it here (large file): http://www.bensearle.com/page13/assets/ ... 20Wild.pdf

One interesting feature was that the frame was designed to contain the fuel for my camp stove to make more space for water etc elsewhere.

Still got it and love it.

This is Tony's website http://www.tonyoliver.co.uk/ but sadly his frame building days are over (he is/was though selling a spoke length calculator see http://www.tonyoliver.co.uk/cycling/

Ben
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    GaryGkn wrote:
    Does anyone know anything about Tony Oliver bicycles I have found out that he does not build anymore and became a photographer. Also he has written a book on touring bicycles. I was tipped off that he built 650B bikes a while a go. Any info greatly appreciated. Thank Gary

Tony Oliver tourers seemed from memory to be quite popular in North Wales whilst I was studying in Bangor a few years back - his workshop was based nearby on Anglesey; I forget precisely where but Llangefni (the county town) seems to spring to mind.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • DEJ
    DEJ Posts: 19
    Well worth getting Tony's book especially if you're keen on 80s bikes. Shame he gave up building frames - very rarely seen for sale.
    Dave
    David Jones
  • GaryGkn
    I have ordered the book and look forward to reading it. Prices varied from over £100 to £20 I got a used copy for £20. Well a 23" 650B would do me. I might nip over to Wales before Hilary Stone beats me to it!
  • GaryGkn
    I have ordered the book and look forward to reading it. Prices varied from over £100 to £20 I got a used copy for £20. Well a 23" 650B would do me. I might nip over to Wales before Hilary Stone beats me to it!
  • satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    ... and before he built bike frames Tony was a nuclear physicist with stories to tell about workplace safety - or lack thereof.

There's a reason why his frames never come up for sale; people are still riding them. My audax frame (October 1982) is still going strong, as is the road frame that followed it.

BTW, if anyone has any idea if it's possible to get stickers or have stickers reproduced, please contact me, as I'd like to get both frames painted!
  • GaryGkn
    Nice bikes and a good read. I liked his 650B tourer.
  • ss753
    ss753 Posts: 3
    On a round the world trip (on a Dawes Super Galaxy - a great touring bike), I had many hours to think about my ultimate touring/expedition bike. On my return, I read Tony Oliver's superb book and spent many hours carefully selecting the frame size/tubing/braze-ons/extras/components etc.

When I had everything just so, I ordered my frame from Tony Oliver. I was delighted with the quality of workmanship, the practicality and common sense approach of the frame design and the amount of "born of experience" advice I received from Tony himself.

I worked as the Touring Officer at the CTC at the time, sitting opposite guru Chris Juden - so with his expert guidance, I assembled all the components and built it up into a complete bike.

Needless to say, it rides absolutely brilliantly, either fully laden or unladen. It is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned and I could never imagine ever selling it.

It's a great shame that Tony gave up building frames. No wonder they are rarely seen for sale - he didn't build that many, and the lucky few that own them value what they've got!
  • GaryGkn
    If you do want to sell I would be interested in buying.
  • ss753
    ss753 Posts: 3
    GaryGkn wrote:
    If you do want to sell I would be interested in buying.

Thanks for the interest - but where would I get another like this?

Best of luck in your search for one.
  • GaryGkn
    Quite true.

You wouldn't.

I'll keep looking.

22" to 22.5" if anyone has one for sale that they no longer require.
  • satanas
    Well, I have two 22 1/2" frames but the only way I'll ever let them go is when I'm dead.

If anyone here is interested in getting replacement stickers made I have found a source, but the cost is prohibitive for 1-2 sets due to design and setup costs. Please contact me if you might want any!!! Once the first few are done, the price becomes way more reasonable...
  • GaryGkn
    Do you really need both frames?

If you change your mind and fancy selling one get in touch.
  • satanas
    Yes, I need both! One is an audax frame and the other is a road frame. I'm afraid you're SOL...
  • GaryGkn
    Well I thought it would be unlikely but worth a try.
    You are a very lucky man.
    Enjoy your bikes you made a wise choice.
  • I went to see Tony Oliver a couple of times in about 2000, at his Anglesea home, not far from me, the second time to order a frame. Sadly I was too late as he had already begun his switch to full-time wildlife photography.
    Still on the lookout for a S/H touring/road frame by him.
  • GaryGkn
    I would like a road bike: 22-22.5"
    Or even an ATB or MTB if anyone has one?
    Not so sure about size on the ATB/MTB?
  • 21.5" Frame 54.5cm, Columbus Tubing, Shimano 105 Brakes, Mavic MA40 Rims on Campag Record Hubs, Schwalbe Stelvio Tyres, Gipiemme Seat Post, Stronglight Chainset and headset, Cinelli Giro Bars, 14 Speed.

If your interested send me a message
    Thanks
  • GaryGkn
    you have PM
  • If its not sold I would be interested - I do regret selling my Tony Oliver frame he built for me...
  • GaryGkn
    It sounds like a beautiful bike if it was my size I would have bought it.

Still looking!
  • milgimon
    milgimon Posts: 1
    I HAVE TONY OLIVER LOW PRO..BUILT IN 1989...SMALL TRIANGLE WITH AN EXTENDED SEAT POST!! WAY AHEAD OF ITS TIME...REAR BRAKE ON THE INSIDE..THERE IS A PHOTO OF IT IN HIS BOOK 'BANANA FORKS'...STILL GOIN STRONG.
  • GaryGkn
    That's a great bike. I often wondered who owned the bikes in his book. I will have to have a re read. It is a shame he didn't build more. Enjoy your Tony Oliver bicycle!
  • I have a Tony Oliver bike I am looking to sell but need more information about it as it belonged to my grandfather. I know it's hand built and has Campagnolo gears and fittings.

Anybody clued up on these bikes or has his book that may have the bike featured?

Cheers.
  • satanas
    You either need to give a very(!) complete written description, or post a photo or photos online somewhere and give the URL here. If you're not a cyclist, show it to someone who is. There's no way anyone can tell anything about the bike from what you've said so far.

While I suppose it's possible the bike might be in the book, lots of those in there had Campag stuff and all of them were hand built...
  • updated images of the Tony Oliver bike. Any information about the bike would be gratefully received.

cheers.
  • satanas
    Okay, that's a start. This bike is definitely not in TO's book. The pictures are too low resolution to be able to tell much, and it's important to take photos from the DRIVE SIDE rather than the other side, as shown. It would also be helpful to be able to see the tubing sticker high up on the seat tube (it'll say "Reynolds" something). A complete parts list would be helpful for approximate dating, but I'd guess early to mid 1980s from what little I can make out. There'll most likely be a serial number under the bottom bracket; on my audax bike it is 820100, and 82 is the year of manufacture.

From the photos, it looks like this is a cyclocross bike. FWIW, extended seat tubes were a bit of a TO trademark - it'd be helpful to see a close-up of the seat cluster too.

Be warned that anyone thinking of buying a bike like this will grill you about every detail of frame geometry, and parts fitted - I know I would! You need to know what these are before attempting to sell the bike.
  • do you have a private email address I could email you more images to? I've been struggling to upload images to the forum without getting errors for the file sizes being too big. also I am restricted to 3 images at a time.

cheers.