Walkie talkies.

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited April 2013 in The bottom bracket
After a spate of thefts of our Motorola walkie talkies i just wondered does anybody know if you can have a tracker of some description fitted so it can be easily located.
Ademort
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    cant you just radio them and ask "where are you?" :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I suppose you could attach a GPS tracker to then but it won't be concealled and you'll need to have a mobile phone SIM card for each tracker so the position can be transmitted.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    emm - what is the motivation for stealing walkie talkies - esp Motorola ones? And why do you have them as a matter of interest. And by the way if when you lend them out you do so by attaching them to a paratrooper and I guess your problems have ended.....unless of course the paratrooper takes a shine to one of them.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    if they are on a closed site you could stick an rf security tag inside the battery cover, but you'd need to put detectors at all exits, which gets expensive

the same system would detect anything tagged, so if other things go astray as well it might work out ok overall
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ademort
    Lagrange wrote:
    emm - what is the motivation for stealing walkie talkies - esp Motorola ones? And why do you have them as a matter of interest. And by the way if when you lend them out you do so by attaching them to a paratrooper and I guess your problems have ended.....unless of course the paratrooper takes a shine to one of them.

We work on a large construction site and obviously need them for communication purposes. The motivation for stealing motorola walkie talkies is a good question you will need to ask the thieves who regularly steal them, we would also like to ask them.As for lending them out it,s not that simple there are always people who are on holiday or sick so there will always be several sets sitting in the charging unit. We dont have someone in the office all the time so of late almost every week we have one set that disappears. We have just recieved 20 new sets but its becoming a pain in the ar@e for all concerned.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Once upon a time on a big site a pair of walkies went walkies- big puzzle - few days later security hear childrens voices over the intercom - hello kids & how are you, where do you live? Daddy got the sack, how could he be so brainless?
  • Lagrange
    Thanks for the explanation - promise that if I see someone with a motorolla WT then he'll get punched out big time....you said construction worker though....
  • ademort
    Once upon a time on a big site a pair of walkies went walkies- big puzzle - few days later security hear childrens voices over the intercom - hello kids & how are you, where do you live? Daddy got the sack, how could he be so brainless?

If this story involved ta certain foreman welder at sellafield then not only do i know about it but the person concerned was a very good friend of the family.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    My Walkie Talkie went missing: I crossed a Parrot with a centipede once but it dissapeared.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    engrave them or paint the company name on them ?
  • Lagrange
    cougie wrote:
    engrave them or paint the company name on them ?

...motorolla did that already - remember..?
  • ademort
    We have done all of the above but we have our suspicions that they are taken to Poland so engraving etc is of no use whatsoever. We are pretty sure that the people who are buying them know they are stolen.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura