10 mile TT - first shot pacing

2»

Comments

• Don't be discouraged, lots of people take several attempts to beat 30 minutes when they're timing themselves.

Do they?
    But agree with dont be discouraged.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Don't be discouraged, lots of people take several attempts to beat 30 minutes when they're timing themselves.

Do they?
    But agree with dont be discouraged.

On a road bike, new to cycling, new to pacing, not in a TT, etc, etc - yes. I'm sure LOTS of people would take several tries to beat 30 mins! My first TT took me 31 mins! (I did get under 30 the next time though). :)
  • Go out for your warmup at least 2 hours before the event. Ride ten miles at easy pace. After ten miles, stop and do some stretches.
    The next five miles should be interspersed with some sprints. With each sprint, feel for the lactic in your quads. When it starts, ease off.
    Each sprint should feel stronger than the last, until you can keep about a minute at full blast.
    Ride round for another mile or so really slowly.

Before the event, do some more stretches and empty your bladder.

From the gun, 'give it some' to accelerate to where your legs start burning. Ease off so your legs don't burn. Keep giving short accelerations until your legs burn, and ease off so you are in-and-out of lactic. You might find it good to give short ONE REV honks by lifting backside off saddle. Keep this pace until you reckon you can give an all-out blast for the finish.
    Grit your teeth and go!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Go out for your warmup at least 2 hours before the event. Ride ten miles at easy pace. After ten miles, stop and do some stretches.
    The next five miles should be interspersed with some sprints. With each sprint, feel for the lactic in your quads. When it starts, ease off.
    Each sprint should feel stronger than the last, until you can keep about a minute at full blast.
    Ride round for another mile or so really slowly.

Before the event, do some more stretches and empty your bladder.

From the gun, 'give it some' to accelerate to where your legs start burning. Ease off so your legs don't burn. Keep giving short accelerations until your legs burn, and ease off so you are in-and-out of lactic. You might find it good to give short ONE REV honks by lifting backside off saddle. Keep this pace until you reckon you can give an all-out blast for the finish.
    Grit your teeth and go!

Bizarre.
  • Mr Bunbury wrote:
    Mr Bunbury wrote:
    andyeb wrote:
    Good points on one and three. Point two, Pokerface is a reigning Para World Champ, I'm a L2 RR/TT BC coach, Army PTI and got a 19.58 10 PB... Think we might know what tree is the right one....
    In that case I'll bow to your faster PB and coaching skills!

What I meant was that surely most people won't get the same HR in training that they will once they've raced and pushed themselves, so what they think is 80% is actually a false figure, more like 70% or whatever?

Go out and just have a go and see what works for you! What might work for
    Me might not work for you, experience counts for lots, also once you have put your line in the sand then you can go out and beat it, a big motivator to get that HR going!
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204
    Did my first one down in Pembrey on saturday. Finished with 28:27 (on road bike) which i'm quite happy with despite cramping up in the last mile. Set myself the target of sub 27 come the end of the season. Hopefully these will help with the Crit fitness.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I wouldn't worry about riding to HR, riding on the road your HR will be different to the turbo, and even PE will be different. Pacing is an art that is learned through practise, and it can be very easy to overdo, as well as under do the starting effort, though to be honest most will overdo it by a fair margin.

I would just do the first ones as hardas you think you can go, no doubt you will run out of steam before the finish, but you will be able to gauage from that what sort of effort you feel you can put in for the length of time you take. The 20 min turbo effort could be a good guide, but to be honest unless you were going full max chat on the turbo for 20 mins your HR percentages could be well out, and in a race there is the added adreniline to factor in.

To be honest for your first few attempts just have fun and see what you can do, it is better to do this than concentrate on looking at your HR and perhaps needlessly backing off. Also riding with your head up is far safer.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Choose a time you want to fin in, then stick to the average speed to achieve this, then in the last mile go all hell for leather.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    NITR8s wrote:
    Choose a time you want to fin in, then stick to the average speed to achieve this, then in the last mile go all hell for leather.

there you go - it's as easy as that.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Imposter wrote:
    NITR8s wrote:

there you go - it's as easy as that.

Well if it is a pan flat course then it could be that simple but not sure how you would account for average speed when dealing with the ups & downs, unless you set your cycle computer to average speed and under do it on the ups and try to make up the difference on the downs so you even yourself out till the last mile.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.