Tunnel Vision

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited July 2015 in Commuting chat
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/activ ... -open.html
A much admired example of Victorian engineering, Combe Down Tunnel stretches 1,700-metre in the middle of Two Tunnels Greenway, a four-mile disused railway between Bath and the village of Midford.

The track includes another shorter tunnel, the Devonshire Tunnel (400m), which is already in use, as well as two striking viaducts.....
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I'll be riding through it on 6th April, along with a few other cyclists. The Combe Down tunnel isn't straight so you can't see the other end as you enter but is well lit from the YT videos I've seen of the progress work. From what I've read there will be marshalls releasing people into the tunnel on the day for safety reasons.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    redvee wrote:
    From what I've read there will be marshalls releasing lions into the tunnel on the day for fun.
    Just to add a bit of spice to the occasion. :wink:
  • Kieran_Burns
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    redvee wrote:
    I'll be riding through it on 6th April, along with a few other cyclists. The Combe Down tunnel isn't straight so you can't see the other end as you enter but is well lit from the YT videos I've seen of the progress work. From what I've read there will be marshalls releasing people into the tunnel on the day for safety reasons.
    The lights are switched off after 11pm, to give the bats some quality time - womder how long before someone tries it unlit.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    rjsterry wrote:
    redvee wrote:
    The lights are switched off after 11pm, to give the bats some quality time - womder how long before someone tries it unlit.

Before Sustrans Blocked the Tunnels i've gone though the ones on the old Brynmawr to Abergavenny a few times, only 1/4 mile or so, curved as they often are, as long as your bike light is decent it was fine, though rather wet at times which was the main problem rather than seeing.
  • redvee
    rjsterry wrote:
    The lights are switched off after 11pm, to give the bats some quality time - wonder how long before someone tries it unlit.

If it was closer I would but the bats would be in flight no doubt which could be interesting.
  • redvee
  • Kieran_Burns
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • redvee
    I'm guessing you'll be wanting moving pics too?
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    Yah
  • redvee
    The route was opened today by Amy Williams MBE and there were hundreds of riders of all ages wanting to ride through. I was in the queue for nearly an hour before I got to ride through the tunnels, even then at a slow speed due to the number of fellow cyclists out enjoying the sun. Will upload a video tomorrow.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Saw this on the local news; wish I was a bit closer to give it a trial. Perhaps next year's LVIS route could incorporate one or other?
    rjsterry wrote:
    redvee wrote:
    The lights are switched off after 11pm, to give the footpads some robbing time - womder how long before someone tries it unlit.

FTFY
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ive done the mersey tunnels a few time

really horrible climb coming out on the Liverpool side

plus feels weird to be riding an there absolutely no wind in your face
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • redvee
    No footage of the ride through the tunnels as the footage was too long due to all the people riding through tunnels, however I did spot a train on the old railway route, a little late as Beeching closed it down 50 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y6OA_z1ys0
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    Do I see a new route for a Brizzle social? There must be a pub the other end of the tunnels?
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • redvee
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    Do I see a new route for a Brizzle social? There must be a pub the other end of the tunnels?

Looking at 20 mile ride, closest pub will be the Hope & Anchor in Midford, not sure if there is still a pub at the bottom of Brassknocker. More of a daytime ride rather than an evening ride.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    Pub at bottom of Brassknocker is no more. Its been converted to flats. :(

Mike
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    redvee wrote:
    Mark Elvin wrote:

Looking at 20 mile ride, closest pub will be the Hope & Anchor in Midford, not sure if there is still a pub at the bottom of Brassknocker. More of a daytime ride rather than an evening ride.

Sounds like a good idea.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Rashomon
    Rashomon Posts: 7
    The route was opened today by Amy Williams MBE and there were hundreds of riders of all ages wanting to ride through. I was in the queue for nearly an hour before I got to ride through the tunnels, even then at a slow speed due to the number of fellow cyclists out enjoying the sun. Will upload a video tomorrow.
    Well, the excitement has really died off. I cycled home through the Two Tunnels Greenway Friday evening, and I only came across a handful of other cyclists... several of which were cyclotourists, including two German people! It's such a nice ride, it's crazy there aren't more people using it. The tunnels are well lit too, as I found out once I had removed my sunglasses, half way through the first tunnel :oops:
  • redvee
    The tunnels are well lit too, as I found out once I had removed my sunglasses, half way through the first tunnel :oops:

Went through the Two Tunnels again on Thursday and took my Oakleys off at the start of the first and put them back on when getting to the end of the second and was blinded cause they had misted up due to the temperature difference between in the tunnel and daylight.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    Went through the Two Tunnels again on Thursday and took my Oakleys off at the start of the first and put them back on when getting to the end of the second and was blinded cause they had misted up due to the temperature difference between in the tunnel and daylight.

Yes that is a little tricky at certain times of the year. I'm tending to keep the glasses on at the moment. There is still enough light to see by in the tunnels and it reduces the misting problem.