Which tubulars?

2»

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Difference between a tub and an inner tube is substantial. It wouldn't be comfy in a pocket. We always strapped them under the seat.

Dennis - I don't think he was the smartest cookie. And his parents bought his kit. Despite him knocking on 30...
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    cougie wrote:
    Difference between a tub and an inner tube is substantial. It wouldn't be comfy in a pocket. We always strapped them under the seat.

I'll go for a bigger saddle bag.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    cougie wrote:

Dennis - I don't think he was the smartest cookie. And his parents bought his kit. Despite him knocking on 30...

I used to put them under my seat but for whatever reason I said screw that and simply started stuffing them in a jersey pocket.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    fwiw this is my tufo elite jet 160 spare (used) vs. a conti race 28 tube, with a cc sized thingy for scale

the tub is stored in a freezer bag to stop water/sweat getting to the glue, and together with minitool, lever, sealant, pump and a few other bits all fits fine in a jersey pocket

as mentioned above, the tufos are very pricey new at the moment, but they do turn up on ebay, as long as it's in reasonable condition it's fine for a spare
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    sungod wrote:
    fwiw this is my tufo elite jet 160 spare (used) vs. a conti race 28 tube, with a cc sized thingy for scale

the tub is stored in a freezer bag to stop water/sweat getting to the glue, and together with minitool, lever, sealant, pump and a few other bits all fits fine in a jersey pocket

as mentioned above, the tufos are very pricey new at the moment, but they do turn up on ebay, as long as it's in reasonable condition it's fine for a spare

You mentioned earlier about pre-gluing your Tufo spare. Could you be a bit more detailed on how you do that?
  • sungod
    just put a coat of glue on the base tape, leave it to dry for a couple of days, then fold up the tyre, i fold it basetape to basetape, but there are other schools of thought on this!

although the glue is dry, when it's put on the rim, there'll still be some tack, once fully inflated it'll be secure enough to ride home on

when i got back and went to pull the spare, i was (pleasantly) surprised how strongly it had stuck on 'dry' glue

on a rim that was glued a long long time ago it might not be so good, but even if i don't puncture i'll wear tyres out every few months, so the rim glue is always reasonably fresh
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Looking at Tubs here - whats the difference between the 2 Vittoria Corsas...the CX and Evo CX. Counterintuitively the EVO seems £10 cheaper...

Looking for something for a potential new build for a set of best wheels....

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-t ... s/vitttuba
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Not sure tbh. I think the CX is the older model with slighlty lower TPI.

Since this thread has popped up I'll mention that I took my Corsa tubs and Zipp 303's out for their maiden run on Saturday. What ride :-D!!!
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I went for the Vittoria SC and have a Conti Giro stored in an old Seal Skins waterproof sock as backup. That said, I have them on the race wheels.

Personally I'd avoid Tufo and Conti tubs (except as backup) because of the ride quality.

Have you considered the Pave? Should fit your requirements better than most, fast, tough, great feel, probably cheaper than Veloflex (or FMB or Dugast).
  • Anonymous
    I am mulling over some best wheels - ambrosio nemesis, and while your description is spot on for what I am after I hear they wear quickly in the dry as they are designed for less than ideal conditions?

The EVO CX look perfect (although look to have short lifespan) and the clinchers held up well this weekend with 180 miles of not perfect roads....
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    What about the roads you ride on. Do you affix a broom to the handlebars to sweep the road clean before you get to it?

Road-racing in local roads, so no special precautions, but I don't pump them up rock hard either - 6 bar maximum. It's the risk of hiding in the bunch though.

I've had good success with Tufo Extreme sealant with a 3mm slice on a CX tubular and it's held firm for 2 seasons since. You can't use it with existing sealant though.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sungod
    coriordan wrote:
    Looking at Tubs here - whats the difference between the 2 Vittoria Corsas...the CX and Evo CX. Counterintuitively the EVO seems £10 cheaper...
    <...>

vittoria updated the cx (i think it's version 3 of this tub) with their isogrip compound which is supposed to be a lot better in wet conditions

i'm sure the older versions are being sold off cheap now

btw according to vittoria's it's not 'evo cx', it's the 'corsa cx' now, but many retailers still say evo

piccy, note the tyre says isogrip on the label...

113407.jpg
  • Anonymous
    That's the thing-check the link

Vittoria corsa cx for 45
    Vittoria corsa evo cx for 33...