How do you negotiate tight turns on the trails?

doublem_1
doublem_1 Posts: 266
edited April 2013 in MTB beginners
I think this is the correct section for this question. I have done a few medium class trails and I am wondering how people negotiate the tighter turns but maintain their speed? I assume people lock up their rear brake to swing the tail out and then power through afterwards. Is this the right way to do it?

Comments

• sam-323
    sam-323 Posts: 49
    Hey, I've read this and it's good advise and easy to read and digest.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... res-30174/
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Skidding is definately not the right way to do it.

Just turn in more and make sure you're weighting the bike properly. If you have the right tyres, lean the bike over more too (the bike, NOT your body).

It's that simple.
  • doublem_1
    doublem_1 Posts: 266
    Ah right I see, I don't think I was leaning the bike in the corners, I will try this out. Thanks for the help and the very useful link!
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    And better line choice - always go from the outside of the turn to the inside if possible.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Does anybody else find it harder turning one direction than the other? I'm much better turning left than right. Same in a car too when I turn in to a parking space, much easier turning in to one on my left than on my right. Was thinking it's something to do with which eye dominance you have, right eye dominance I have.
  • When I'm being lazy I lead with my left foot forwards all the time, which puts my body in the wrong position for left hand corners....

Gotta keep concentrated, esp when it gets techy.
  • bennett_346
    Concorde wrote:
    Does anybody else find it harder turning one direction than the other? I'm much better turning left than right. Same in a car too when I turn in to a parking space, much easier turning in to one on my left than on my right. Was thinking it's something to do with which eye dominance you have, right eye dominance I have.
    100% agree, and yes its a combination of foot and eye dominance.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Greer_ wrote:
    And better line choice - always go from the outside of the turn to the inside if possible.
    Depends on the trail, if there is a lot of loose, then the inside line can be cleaner and offer a lot more grip, gravel tends to get washed out on corners by bikes, not in....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Concorde wrote:
    It's definitely an eye thing. As you are right eye dominant, close your left eye and look to the right without turning your head. You'll notice your vision go blurry as the muscles deform your eye slightly. If you look to the left your vision stays in focus as you need to be able to turn your eyes inward to look at stuff that's up close. It's also why right eyed people ride surf boards with their left foot forward.

Are you guys on the mushy's again?..right/left eye dominance? :roll: if you close your eyes you'll still have a stronger side...this goes for skiing, snowboarding/surfing and riding a bike. You will have a 'stronger' foot when riding too - the one that you generally put forwards on the cranks
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • bennett_346
    In normal binocular vision there is an effect of parallax, and therefore the dominant eye is the one that is primarily relied on for precise positional information. This may be especially important in sports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocular_dominance
  • cameronb
    cameronb Posts: 102
    Best thing anyone ever told me regarding cornering is that always remember you and the bike are two separate things, you don't have to do anything the bike does. Shift your weight and move about when you're cornering and you'll just realise what's best.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    It's one of those annoying things where practice makes perfick. To be honest the best thing you could do is to find one and do it over and over and over....There is no quick fix I'm afraid.

Keep at it and you ll get it! We ve all been there
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    The best way to do it is as naturally as you can. And you definitely need the right tyres to do it, ones that will give you confidence. Just like the confidence boost you get when you get full slicks on a dry road. You can really lean it into the corners.

On the trails id say the best way to take on a sharp corner is to move yourself into a position where you can get alot of movement from the bike. Standing up is the best way to do it, then lean your body to the side to go into the corner. If you sit down it will be very difficult for you to move your weight. And you are more likely to get either one of your tyres slipping.

You should have slightly bent arms and legs for you to be able to go through the corner effectively as you will be able to make very small adjustments to the steering and position and the amount of pressure you are putting over the front and rear of the bike.

A good tip is to sort of think like a racer if that makes sense? Go wide before the corner and go to the inside of the corner.

Also if it is a really sharp bend then do not pedal as you turn and make sure that the side your turning in is the side where the pedal is raised. As for traction, if you can clearly see that there is a sort of surface that you dont trust, limit the amount of sterring you do and the amount of leaning you do. Sterring to much will mean that the front wheel will just lose traction and plough through, for example in thick mud. And leaning too much will mean that the tyres will be forcing the surface they are trying to grip to slide away.
  • bennett_346
    A good tip is to sort of think like a racer if that makes sense? Go wide before the corner and go to the inside of the corner.
    Disagree, if anything, on most corners you should do the opposite. Berms and flat corners both tend to build up loose material on the inside, and if you're hitting a berm on the inside of the apex you're really doing it wrong!
  • gt-arrowhead
    Ahh i know what you mean. But when its all the same surface, then out then in is better. Otherwise your right i guess.
  • bennett_346
    But he's asking about tight turns specifically, where if anything a central balanced line is better. I can't see it working trying to hit the apex on what's presumably a low speed corner. Fast flat corners yeah go for the apex if you're trying to push milliseconds off a race pace but otherwise can't see the application.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Hmm. Personal preference then i guess. I find that going wide then to the inside on a 180 degree corner (obivously low speed in that case) allows me to get a straighter line on exit and i feel more comfortable that way and i find it quicker since im not cornering as much as i would be if i were taking a central or wide line.