chain rubbing on front derailleur

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I've noticed the chain has started to rub the front derailleur on my bike when in the middle and top chain ring when i'm in 8-9 gear on the rear cassette.

The chain doesnt come off or anything like that and the front derailleur shifts fine between the 3 rings.

I've looked at the park tools repair guide and i dont need to setup from scratch and just wondering if i can tweak the h screw as its the chain side that faces outwards where it is rubbing to move the derailleur out a little ?

Also how tight should a chain be on a 9 speed setup because i think its too loose and i'm thinking of fitting a chain tensioner.

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    swod1 wrote:
    just wondering if i can tweak the h screw as its the chain side that faces outwards where it is rubbing to move the derailleur out a little ?
    Nope, H screw is a stop, cage position is set by the cable tension, adjust that unless it's hitting the H stop, in which case back it off.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    swod1 wrote:
    just wondering if i can tweak the h screw as its the chain side that faces outwards where it is rubbing to move the derailleur out a little ?
    Nope, H screw is a stop, cage position is set by the cable tension, adjust that unless it's hitting the H stop, in which case back it off.

thanks, I will check this as i need to do a check of my bike after riding in muddy conditions for the last few months anyway.